jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

How effective is electroconvulsive therapy in treating those with active psychos

1. denise.w.anderson profile image93
    denise.w.andersonposted 5 years ago

How effective is electroconvulsive therapy in treating those with active psychosis?

If someone is actively psychotic, having hallucinations, delusions, and out of touch with reality, will elctroconvulsive therapy help them come out of it?

2. posts profile image73
    postsposted 5 years ago

I think it depends on the type of  mental disorder and its effect. I have had a relative, suffering from BPAD and after given ECT, he recovered very  soon.

3. teresapelka profile image58
    teresapelkaposted 5 years ago

No, shocks can only suppress brain functioning. With a temporary decrease in brain activity, the 'therapist' might be prone to assume that he or she are witnessing an improvement. The patient's brain condition is likely to translate in observably more acute problems soon, however.

I've read a few critiques of electroconvulsive therapies, they all said the 'improvement' was actually an illusion.

1. teresapelka profile image58
      teresapelkaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

To my knowledge (which obviously is not very vast and actually bookish), you can try to balance the electrolytes and administer mild sedatives.

working