jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (11 posts)

Why do my joints hurt before it rains?

1. LauraGSpeaks profile image96
    LauraGSpeaksposted 5 years ago

Why do my joints hurt before it rains?

All of my joints get somewhat achy before a rain, but especially my arthritic knees.  Is there a scientific reason for this?

2. innerspin profile image93
    innerspinposted 5 years ago

It's connected with atmospheric pressure, and possibly humidity. Certain atmospheric pressure conditions can affect joints, ( as per my chiropractor,) inner ears, and cause migraines in sensitive people - like me, unfortunately. Hope it doestn't rain too much where you are.

3. Express10 profile image87
    Express10posted 5 years ago

I also believe it is related to pressure changes. You can look at Weather.com for an "aches and pains" forecast. Good luck.

4. alphagirl profile image80
    alphagirlposted 5 years ago

My body does the same...the dampness in the air affects the body. I know for instance I could not thrive in Seattle. I would be sick and achy versus Arizona.
    The barometor of water in the air adds pressure. I think it adds wt to our bodies in some fashion. You feel weighted and heavier, putting more pressure on the joints.
    Things tend to swell and expand. In drier climates your shrink, your skin is drier, everything is drier.

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I agree with all of the posts - I think atmospheric pressure and humidity are the cause.  I know I would do much better in an area with better, warmer weather but my kids and grandkids are here - so here I stay...joint pain and all!

6. BlissfulWriter profile image67
    BlissfulWriterposted 5 years ago

The barometric atmospheric pressure drops just before the rain comes.  The joints have nerves which are sensitive to these changes in atmospheric pressure.  The reason why people with arthritis can sense these pain more than others is because they have less cartilage to cushion and buffer the nerves.

1. BlissfulWriter profile image67
      BlissfulWriterposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Okay, I wrote a Hub to answer your question...
      http://blissfulwriter.hubpages.com/hub/ … in-weather

7. ii3rittles profile image82
    ii3rittlesposted 5 years ago

I get headaches when the temperature drops or rises very fast. I believe it has to do with pressure. Some people are more sensitive to the world than others.

8. goldseller profile image60
    goldsellerposted 5 years ago

a possible source of relief for this ailment: Tumeric. An ancient Indian "cure me all" - but more specifically, a very powerful anti-inflamatory. Check it out :-)

1. LauraGSpeaks profile image96
      LauraGSpeaksposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I will look into Tumeric.  Thanks for the tip!

9. suzettenaples profile image89
    suzettenaplesposted 5 years ago

I am not a doctor, but I have learned from experience it is the arthritis in the knee that makes the knee pain.  Doctors have told me this, but other than that, I don't know exactly how it works.