jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you count calories?

1. BraidedZero profile image91
    BraidedZeroposted 5 years ago

Do you count calories?

It has been proven that people who track what they eat lose more weight than those that don't. Do you track what you eat while you are losing (or possibly gaining) weight?

2. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

I track by estimating, not to the number of. I know the average of everything, not the exact number of calories I eat. Plus I just figure that I will work it all off in my daily exercise routine.

3. Aikonia profile image85
    Aikoniaposted 5 years ago

I used a Fitbit Ultra for a couple of months and as part of that regime calculated my calories religiously to the point where I roughly knew what calories there are in most of the foods I have access to and if I don't know I can make a pretty good guess or just look it up via my smartphone.

I take into account the normal calories burned during a normal work day and if I do not plan to or cannot go to a work out session I compensate by not eating as much or taking the stairs instead of the elevator at the office.

It definitely helps as I know some one else who "wants" to loose weight but never tracks anything even though all the tools are there and does not balance the burn rate and intake at all - lost cause really, almost too sad to watch!

Check out my hubs on loosing weight and using smart tech to help you on your way :-)

4. Georgie Lowery profile image94
    Georgie Loweryposted 5 years ago

I've lost about 150 pounds in the last few years and I found counting calories to be stressful. It sounds like I'm an idiot, I know, but I would have anxiety over whether or not I'd eaten too much and I'd be angry with myself if I had. I quit counting calories and fat grams and carbs and everything else and just started paying more careful attention to what I ate and started walking and the weight started coming off very quickly. Counting does work for a lot of people but, for me, it was counter-productive.

5. FreeFly07 profile image60
    FreeFly07posted 5 years ago

I never counted calories, and I've been through both a muscle gaining period and then a fat burning phase. I was simply eating low caloric foods and avoiding sugars and other processed foods and lost 14 pounds.  The only thing I'm counting now is the grams of protein I eat every day, since I'm on a muscle building phase smile