jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Any natural remedies to a slow thyroid?

1. WVBards profile image61
    WVBardsposted 5 years ago

Any natural remedies to a slow thyroid?

2. artist101 profile image66
    artist101posted 5 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7167857_f260.jpg

A combination of kelp and l tyrosine make active thyroid hormone. L tyrosine, is an amino acid, derived from protein. Amino acids aren't for every one, if you have kidney disease, you shouldn't take amino acids. B-complex vitamins must be present to produce thyroid hormone. Armour thyroid is the natural prescription for low thyroid function. And available by prescription only. For other recomendations: http://artist101.hubpages.com/hub/Natur … d-Function

WVBardsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

See, I'm low on vitamin B.  I bet that's contributing, if not causing the issue. And I, probably like most people, have never even tried that combination of kelp and l tyrosine before!  Thank you so much for sharing : )

2. artist101 profile image66
      artist101posted 5 years agoin reply to this

You are very welcome, I hope It helps

3. Juliet Christie profile image80
    Juliet Christieposted 5 years ago

A slow thyroid secretion is seen as hypothyroidism
    It is not easily treated as test have to be done both on the thyroid and pituitary gland to try to see where the problem lies. This disease should be left to the professional.

important to keep in mind when it comes to a natural diet for hypothyroidism is that there are also foods that actually slow down thyroid function. These include broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kale, (natural thyroid blockers) spinach, turnips, soy, beans, and mustard greens.

Take care to avoid overly processed food and limit dairy, sugar, artificial sweeteners, caffeine, and alcohol intake.

Include lots of salt water fish, shellfish and sea weed in your diet as these are rich in iodine – essential for healthy thyroid functioning

Perform a daily thyroid self-massage. To massage the thyroid gland; gently stroke up and down the sides of the trachea (also known as windpipe).
    These  supplement usually give good results Iodine , Selenium .  Zinc ,Vitamin D,   Vitamin E  Antioxidants ,  Essential Fats
    There re also herbs that help but I will not mention them as I said the thyroid one should not go experimenting with this disorder

I eat kale and beans on the daily.  And I'm drinking soy right now, with caffeine!  Oh no!  I am consulting a natropath tomorrow so hopefully he'll guide me in the right direction as far as supplements go.  Thank you for contributing!!

2. BlissfulWriter profile image65
      BlissfulWriterposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree that soy has hormonal effect that can lower thyroid function.  I would definately avoid soy milk.   There is a reason why they say not to give babies soy milk.  More about soy here...
      http://blissfulwriter.hubpages.com/hub/Is-Soy-Healthy

4. BlissfulWriter profile image65
    BlissfulWriterposted 5 years ago

The symptoms of a low thyroid are very similar to the symptoms of adrenal fatigue.  In fact the two are related and adrenal fatigue can cause low thyroid function, but not always.   To really figure out which is the problem, the thydroid or adrenals, you have to have a physician run a full thyroid panel and saliva cortisol test.  I wrote about adrenal fatigue here and some of supplements and herbs that may help...
    http://blissfulwriter.hubpages.com/hub/ … ue-is-Real

Although idoine from food is fine, I would caution against supplementing with iodine supplement unless under direction of a physician.  Sometimes iodine supplement may make things worst or better, depending on your levels of T4, T3, Reverse T3, TSH, etc. 

Many times thyroid issues are due to autoimmune condition.  So check for thyroid antibodies and gluten sensitivity with a blood test.

Should read the book "Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? When My Lab Tests Are Normal" by Datis Kharrazian.

My blood tests ARE normal - I absolutely need that book!  Thanks for the link and the suggestion!  It's crazy how interconnected the different functions of the body are, and how difficult it is to trace a symptom to the true root of the illness.

working