What are some home remedies for sinus congestion and pain?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)
  1. VirginiaLynne profile image91
    VirginiaLynneposted 11 years ago

What are some home remedies for sinus congestion and pain?

I have trouble with chronic sinus problems.  What are the best ways to ease the pain and congestion?

2. aguasilver profile image69
    aguasilverposted 11 years ago

I would use colloidal silver in a nasal spray, it has always worked for me.

Buy a small amount, and then one Vick's nasal spray, empty out the Vick's chemicals and flush, then refill with CS and use as needed.

3. renegadetory profile image60
    renegadetoryposted 11 years ago

Do you know if your sinus problem is environmentally related or from food?  Sometimes it can be a combination of both, that's what I had.

I'm sensitive to dust and I have mild seasonal allergies in the spring and fall that will trigger sinus problems.  There isn't much I can do about that, I don't like taking antihistamines.

The biggest trigger for my sinus problems came from dairy.  One of the side-effects of consuming dairy can be a build up of mucus in your body in your ears (ear infections) and sinuses.  I literally felt like my head was full of fluid and weighed 100 lbs and I had migraine headaches.

If you do consume dairy on a regular basis, especially any milk products, I highly recommend you completely eliminate it from your diet for 2 weeks and see if there is an improvement.  That means no dairy whatsoever!  When I stopped dairy, in 2 days I could breathe again and my headaches stopped.

If that doesn't make any difference you can also try eliminating other foods like melons or tomatoes if you have a pollen allergen.  You'd have to do your own research about the trigger foods, I can't list them all here, but certain foods can cause an allergic reaction that manifests in the form of sinus congestion.

I would also recommend a humidifier if you like where it tends to be drier.  Avoid any and all perfumed products, especially those scented candles, glade plug-ins, etc.  They are evil when it comes to sinus congestion! Get rid of them or put them in a sealed container and see if that helps.  Do the same with any perfume, cologne, etc.

Try using unscented laundry detergent and no fabric softener.  For the longest time I would be fine sinus wise until I went to bed then my nose would plug up.  Turns out the perfume in the detergent did not agree with my nose.

If you own your house and have a gas furnace for your heat, I suggest getting it cleaned and your ducts as well.  Do not get the chemical spray they offer.

You can also try an air cleaner and hepa filters for your furnace.

I hope that helps!

4. xstatic profile image59
    xstaticposted 11 years ago

My wife swears by her Nettie Pot and Neil-med (available in drug stores), She has a chronic problem and uses this once, sometimes twice a day. Good luck, Virginia!

Oh, we also use higher grade Hepa furnace filters and change them every month. Unscented dryer sheets would be good too.

5. Mary Merriment profile image74
    Mary Merrimentposted 11 years ago

I've had relief by using a netti pot/nasal cleanse. I also use a variety of herbal remedies and get a lot of relief when I use acupressure methods.  I have recently written an article explaining many of my personal at home remedies if you'd like to come over and check it out.

6. artist101 profile image60
    artist101posted 11 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6786527_f260.jpg

I used to be plaqued with sinus infections, and constant problems with allergies.
    There are no "cures" per say, but if the sinus trouble is related to allergies, then it is an over active immune system. There are many different approaches to getting the immune system to quit reacting to these proteins.
    Theory number one, histamine is produced to conteract the allergen protein, in theory you may not be able to digest proteins, and thereby putting more stress on the immune system, and causing it to over react.
    The answer? digestive enzymes, such as QBC, quercitin bromelain complex. Bromelain helps you to digest protein, and is produced from pineapple, and found in meat tenderizers. Quercitin, is derived from citris, and is a natural antihistamine, no side effects like jitters ect. and the c is vitamin c, a natural anti inflammatory and decongestant, magnesium is calming to the brain, and body, as well as the immune system.
    For sinus infection caused by bacteria, olive leaf, and grapefruit seed extract, available in a premixed formula, as a sinus cleanser. Both are a natural anti biotic, and anti inflammatory, if the mucus is green, its an infection. Garlic capsules, 2 times a day, will have it cleared in no time.
    Theory 2, an unbalanced intestinal tract can cause reacurring infection. The answer probiotics.
    Theory 3, leaky gut sydrome, proteins leak through actual holes in the gut or colon, causing an over ractive immune system, too many antibiotics, or steriods, as well as intestinal parasites, or infection. can cause this problem. The answer l-glutamine, an amino acid that actually repairs, the intestinal tract.
    change your toothe brush, or run in the dishwasher, if you are prone to chronic sinus infection, it may be your just reinfecting yourself.
    For doseage amounts and where to order:
    an elimation diet, such as renegadetory suggests, is also a good idea, For dosage amounts as well as where to order http://artist101.hubpages.com/hub/Is-it … or-allergy
    Your particular situation, and other symptoms will lead you on the path to wellness.
    I used the sinus spray, olive leaf orally, and QBC, for about a year, and nock on wood, havn't had another problem since. Naturals are always my first line of defense.

1. WendySue Hagins profile image60
      WendySue Haginsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

About the tooth brush....when you brush your teeth, put 1 drop of tea tree essential oil on your brush first, then your toothpaste. Don't add any water to it, your saliva does that. The tea tree oil is safe, kills everything bad in the mouth, rinse.

7. fitmom profile image73
    fitmomposted 11 years ago

Some great answers already. I wrote a hub on this very topic called Natural Remedies for Sinus Congestion. I used to get sinus infections multiple times a year. It was really the only sickness I got. In my hub, I discuss the methods I use to treat this problem. Since using these methods, I haven't had to go to the doctor for sinus infections.

I use Sinus Rinse (by the same company as the Netti Pot) when I start to feel like I'm coming down with something. To prevent sickness or to help you get better, I drink fresh lemon juice every morning. I use lavender/tea tree oil blend mixed in with a base oil and put it where I have sinus pain- eyebrows, forehead, temples, etc.

The last sinus infection I had my teeth and whole jaw and face hurt. It was incredibly painful! I knew I had to find a natural way to treat this problem because I do not like taking antibiotics and I'm so glad I figured out some healthy ways to prevent the problem in the first place.

Best ~ fitmom

8. WendySue Hagins profile image60
    WendySue Haginsposted 6 years ago

Smelling horseradish will unclog the sinuses. Then blow your nose...a lot.
    Don't get it on your skin or up your nose, just take deep whiffs.

The pain is coming from the congestion....when you can blow your nose and get the gunk out, it relieves the pain.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)