Flu vaccine worthless this year?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. tngolfplayer profile image74
    tngolfplayerposted 11 years ago

Flu vaccine worthless this year?

Why do they keep pushing the flu vaccine when they just admitted on the news that the strain going around is not in the vaccine?

2. Jlbowden profile image86
    Jlbowdenposted 11 years ago

The CDC just does this as precautionary measure each and every flu season. But of course the news media has to add to all of the hype by basically worrying less educated individuals on the flu virus. And in addition making it seem like the end of the world is near at hand. Or who knows maybe it is? But never the less,  this year's virus that is circulating seems to be more of the H3N2 strain that many were not expecting, probably based upon last year's perceptions of a very low incidence of the flu circulating in a majority of the states. 

Your best bet is to ask your doctor for some Tamiflu capsules. And ask him or her to write ten capsules for ten days.  Taking one capsule per day for that period will definitely protect you and your family more so against the flu this year, then the vaccine will. Besides you still can get the influenza virus even if you have received a flu vaccine.  This is just some friendly advice based upon  what I do know about Prophylaxing against the flu. Especially if one, or more of your friends or family are already ill, it will protect you and the remainder of your family in such circumstances. Hope this info. helps all who are concerned during this years influenza season, which has already affected at least fourty-two states.

tngolfplayerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah.  I pretty much load up on vitamin C.  It just irritates me when they push for a vaccine they admit isn't effective.

3. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

I've never had the flu vaccine, and I can't recall ever having the flu. So I'm not going to start now.

tngolfplayerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The only time I ever had the flu was after getting the vaccine.  Never had either since.

2. lburmaster profile image72
      lburmasterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ow.... I'm sorry you had to go through that.

4. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 11 years ago

Flu vaccines are in production before the upcoming season hits. They are usually formulated based on the most virulent strains from prior years and the likelihood that it will be a variation of it. Some years are not as successful as others although it is still believed that the vaccine will reduce severity. I began getting flu shots when my child started school. The one time I was unable to get a shot because of a severe vaccine shortage, I caught it from my daughter and never want to be that sick again! Once you are over 50, the flu hits very hard!  The vaccine contains a dead virus, so it doesn't cause the flu. One has to be either allergic to the shot or had exposure to the bug before innoculation.
    I am fortunately healthy and take my vitamins, airborne, wash my hands, etc, but the flu vaccine is still in my annual arsenal and is worth it.

5. Li Galo profile image74
    Li Galoposted 11 years ago

The only time I had a flu shot was the time I ended up sick for 5 weeks BECAUSE of the flu shot.  I was allergic to it!  They didn't tell me beforehand that it was an egg-based shot.  I thought the doctor's first rule was "first do no harm."  Well, they harmed me pretty good!  No thanks to that. 

My kids don't get it either and they are the healthiest kids in their group of kids, usually never getting anything more than the common head cold for a day and carrying on without missing class.  Each teen has only had the flu once.  I have only had the flu once.  My youngest (8 yrs) has never had the flu.  I attribute that to us eating well, taking vitamins, exercising, sleeping 9-10 hours a night, keeping the house clean, and washing hands.  We also stay out of flu conventions in the winter - like malls, grocery stores, and department stores.  We do our shopping online in the winter months, which is delivered by mail, and have the groceries delivered, too.  When we go out in the winter, it's for outdoor pursuits, like the town tree lighting, the holiday parades.  Being outside reduces our exposure to airborne illness.  Between limited exposure and a healthy lifestyle, we stay healthy. 

I consider these shots helpful to those with a medical need, like a lowered immune system.  Another exception would be for a deadly flu strain that actually kills a type of population.  That would also be a good reason to get the shot.

1. cat on a soapbox profile image96
      cat on a soapboxposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Crazy that your doctor didn't tell you about the allergy to eggs! You must have gotten terribly sick:(  We always have to read and sign the information sheet before getting a shot and even then we are asked again if we have any allergies to it. Sorry

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)