jump to last post 1-19 of 19 discussions (22 posts)

Will you be taking the flu shot?

1. BlissfulWriter profile image69
    BlissfulWriterposted 5 years ago

Will you be taking the flu shot?

2. elayne001 profile image70
    elayne001posted 5 years ago

Got it already. I get it every year just in case.

3. sgbrown profile image95
    sgbrownposted 5 years ago

No flu shot for me!  I have never taken a flu shot and have never had the flu.  "Knock on wood" !  I hope my comment doesn't change that!  smile

4. bankscottage profile image95
    bankscottageposted 5 years ago

I work in a hospital an it is required (or you have to wear a mask during flu outbreaks).  We are exposed to people with the flu (and countless other infectious diseases) and, if we get the flu, we don't want to pass it on to other ill patients.  If a lot of employees get sick with the flu, they'll miss work making staffing difficult and potentially compromising patient care.

5. Goody5 profile image71
    Goody5posted 5 years ago

No I don't take flu shots. I figure if I'm going to get sick, then so be it. But I'm not going to intentionally inflict myself and get sick on purpose. I know that others don't agree with that, but that's how I feel. Keep on hubbing  smile

1. Uninvited Writer profile image85
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The flu shot does not contain any live virus

6. Wellnessinrva profile image60
    Wellnessinrvaposted 5 years ago

Absolutely.  No flu for me this year!  A couple years ago I had a temperature of 106 and was down for a week.

7. That Grrl profile image61
    That Grrlposted 5 years ago

No way. I've done it once and once was enough. I was very sick for the whole week right after getting the flu shot. Compared to most years when I am not sick - I see no good reason to do that again.

I have asthma and my doctor recommends getting it, but I won't do it again. Now that I'm not working in retail, with the public in my face, I hardly catch colds and flu at all.

8. MrsLWarner profile image65
    MrsLWarnerposted 5 years ago

I have never received a flu shot, nor have I ever had the flu!

9. brakel2 profile image83
    brakel2posted 5 years ago

Yes already got it. Only one year did I have a reaction, and it just lasted one day. The pharmacists give the shots where I live. They do a good job.

10. tiffany delite profile image76
    tiffany deliteposted 5 years ago

no! lol...me and my kids never have and we haven't been bad sick with flu either...*knock on wood*

11. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

I have not yet, but I will. I have been taking flu shots for years, even when the swine flu scare was with us and there was concerns about the vaccine. There are some people that perhaps should not take the shot. I am not a doctor and will not discuss those reasons. However, I will say that those who do not take the shot benefit from those of us who take the shot, because the chance of being exposed to the flu drops as more people take the shot.

1. profile image0
      paxwillposted 5 years agoin reply to this

True, but for many, it's just their natural immunity that keeps them from getting sick, rather than herd immunity.  There are no shots for the common cold, and yet many do not contract it even when exposed to the pathogens.

12. CrescentSkies profile image87
    CrescentSkiesposted 5 years ago

I already did, better safe than sorry. Or in this case better to take the needle in the arm than possibly miss a week of school later.

13. angel4967 profile image59
    angel4967posted 5 years ago

About 5 years ago I was hospitalized for what appeared to be a sinus infection.  In actuality it was the flu that had gotten so out of control I was in immense pain and spiking a fever that took them almost 12 hours to break.  I spent 3 days in the hospital in quarantine while they not only ran every test they could but hydrated me (even after 7 saline's in the emergency room I was still dehydrated).  During all this I blew out 2 IV's as well.  Needless to say because of the flu they found a heart condition I didn't know I had.  They also recommended that I get the flu shot from that point on.  Haven't missed a year since and have not gotten sick.  Just got mine a few days ago.

14. profile image0
    paxwillposted 5 years ago

Never had the shot and never had the flu, so I don't see any reason to change my MO this year. I'm not a doctor, but generally I think the fewer drugs you take the better off you are. Also, if there are shortages (which there sometimes are) I don't want to take medication away from those who are more suseptible.

15. Daniella Lopez profile image94
    Daniella Lopezposted 5 years ago

I have never had a flu shot and have never had the flu. So needless to say, I don't plan on getting a flu shot. =P

16. Uninvited Writer profile image85
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

Yes, I had one 2 weeks ago and I'm perfectly fine. I spend a lot of time around a centre where there are lots of seniors so I wanted to get one this year.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image85
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Still healthy smile

17. mvillecat profile image78
    mvillecatposted 5 years ago

I already have! I take it every single year. I have not had the real flu in several years and I am thankful for that.

18. ptosis profile image81
    ptosisposted 5 years ago

NO. Do you get the flu when get a flu shot? (I do - every stinking time)
    they say it's 'rare' & if it does happen it's a 'mild' form - for me that's total B.S.

19. BlissfulWriter profile image69
    BlissfulWriterposted 5 years ago

After I did more research about this topic, I have decided to stop taking flu shots.  Here was what I found...
    http://blissfulwriter.hubpages.com/hub/ … a-Flu-Shot

working