jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (18 posts)

What is the best life changing advice you have received?

1. Claudia Marie profile image74
    Claudia Marieposted 5 years ago

What is the best life changing advice you have received?

2. Lady Wordsmith profile image80
    Lady Wordsmithposted 5 years ago

From the Dalai Lama (not personally; I've never met him!): The purpose of life is the pursuit of happiness.  Changed my life in an instant.

Claudia Marieposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your comment.

3. Bretsuki profile image77
    Bretsukiposted 5 years ago

A former boss once told me. "The only thing that you can change is yourself".

Once I realised this was true and that I could only change my own reactions to lifes little adventure, things got a whole lot easier.

Wise advice! Thanks for your comment

2. Claudia Marie profile image74

This is a truth, changing ones self can be done by yourself, when you are motivated to do so, then you will be successful.

3. Taleb80 profile image82
      Taleb80posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Very true advice, you are lucky to get it from a boss. He was honest.

4. Tusitala Tom profile image64
    Tusitala Tomposted 5 years ago

Best life changing impetous I received has come not so much from advice as encouragement.   When you try something and someone who you respect as an expert in that field tells you "You've got the gift, son," or words to that effect, you just can't help but be motivated.   I've had that happen a few times.

It is praise which one senses is genuine that makes all the difference.  Certainly such praise brought me to Creative Writing and Public Speaking, two of my passions.   Forty-five and forty years ago respectively and I'm still into them.

As for good advice, I'm sure I've received a lot...but I can't recall any that has ever made such a difference to me than 'well placed praise.'

Thank you for your comment. Praise can inspire confedience as your comment shows.

2. Claudia Marie profile image74

Thanks for sharing your experience.

3. Taleb80 profile image82

Yes, always encouraging words add great value.

5. atechwiz profile image70
    atechwizposted 5 years ago

At one time I was really struggling with someone in my life who had not only been critical but had taken it too far.  A friend gave me some advice that I have found very practical for the rest of my life.  In a nutshell it was, "anytime someone says something critical of you or your actions, examine it for truth.  If there is truth in it, take the truth but throw everything else away." 

The point being sometimes those who are critical are also angry and so they may say more than they mean to say.  But if some of what they say is true, then take the truth and apply it.

Wise  advice from a friend. Thank you.

2. Taleb80 profile image82

Thank you for sharing this advice.

6. Taleb80 profile image82
    Taleb80posted 5 years ago

You can control your anger, being angry is not your destiny. It is a manageable issue. So I am now more cool man. By the way, thanks for the question.

You are most welcome and thank you for your comment, we need more "cool men" in the world!

7. MickeySr profile image81
    MickeySrposted 5 years ago

From my mom ~ 'You are no better than anyone else - and no one else is any better than you'.

. . . and from my wife ~ 'Being kind is more important than being accurate'.

Both of those ideas redirected the course I was on at the time - changed my life.

Wonderful comments, thank you very much!

working