jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

How do you get over Winter Lethargy?

1. ThompsonPen profile image77
    ThompsonPenposted 5 years ago

How do you get over Winter Lethargy?

it's effecting everything I do - how I eat, when I eat, how I sleep, when I sleep, if I can write, if I can participate in writing communities, if I clean, if I work....what on earth do I do?

2. profile image0
    SaritaJBonitaposted 5 years ago

ThompsonPen,

Everyone goes through winter "lethargy," but it sounds like this could be Depression.  If you're struggling this much it might be a good idea to make a doctor's appointment.  Your doctor will usually do a few blood tests to rule out physical causes (i.e. thyroid problems, vitamin deficiencies).

If all comes back normal, or perhaps even in the meantime, your doctor might discuss medication options and/or therapy.  I've been suffering from Depression/Bipolar my whole life, and I know from experience that pills aren't always the answer, but sometimes they're part of the solution.

Hope this helps!

3. Dr. Haddox profile image79
    Dr. Haddoxposted 5 years ago

One must always keep one's mind focused upon the tasks that lie ahead. We are doers, writers, all of us. We write with purpose and with great Hope that we will Grow and evolve into even greater writers.
    We must have this sense of urgency, that time is of the essence, and that there is never a moment to waste on the contemplation of Nothing. In other words, we alway have something, constructive to do. If we are not writing, we are reading, and if we are not working on other things (for we all have other things to do) we are resting, because rest (sleep) is necessary for our health and creativity.
    Therefore, Winter does not have to cause us to suffer a Lethargy. Winter is just a time when a season of cold is required by Nature to restore a necessary balance in the grand order of things. Seasons go and come in cycles, with a purpose that I understand to some extent, but not completely, because no one understands anything in Nature completely. He or she make think that he or she understands Nature completely, but trust me, it is so.
    Therefore, welcome winters with gratitude, knowing that winter has a purpose beyond our complete understanding and that we must continue on with our work as if winter does not shake us, or affect us. We must push forward in spite of the pains that sometime come with winter.
    Best regards,
    Dr Haddox

1. profile image0
      SaritaJBonitaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree wholeheartedly.  I also think that some people need additional support while having this mindset.  Lack of appetite, concentration, sleep, and motivation are symptoms of something that could require medical attention.

working