jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

What is Reiki?

1. MomsTreasureChest profile image89
    MomsTreasureChestposted 5 years ago

What is Reiki?

2. Chuck Bluestein profile image65
    Chuck Bluesteinposted 5 years ago

It is a type of healing using energy from the body.

3. Valene profile image86
    Valeneposted 5 years ago

I have never had it done, but as far as I understand, it is a form of energy healing for the body. If you've heard anything about Qigong, Tai Chi or even acupuncture, it works on a similar principle that our bodies are part of the larger universal energy and as such, that energy flows through our bodies like water and sometimes needs to be "plumbed". I think Reiki works more with chakras than with energy meridians like acupuncture and Qigong do, but I'm not sure. It seems it is usually performed on a patient laying down, in a linear fashion over the body.

It sounds strange, but energy work is real! It is a very interesting concept and has helped many people with healing.

1. Valene profile image86
      Valeneposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I would also like to add that energy healings like Reiki are NOT a religion, so whatever spiritual affiliation you have, it has nothing to do with your personal faith. You don't have to "believe" for it to work; it has been studied by science.

4. SidKemp profile image95
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

I am a Reiki master who has studied the history of Reiki. Reiki is an energy, a universal healing light, that a Reiki practitioner can receive from Heaven, bring through him self or herself, and extend to others in need of treatment.

Around the year 1900, a man named Usui, in Japan, spent 20 years seeking the gift of this healing light. He was first inspired by the healing stories of Jesus in the New Testament. He found that Christians of today could not teach him how it was done. He searched ancient Eastern traditions and found hints. He fasted and meditated and put his life on the line to receive this power, and received it.

Master Usui, himself, could use Reiki to do things like heal acute appendicitis without surgery. He created a hospital where he cared for the sick and dedicated his life to healing and sharing this healing power. He passed the ability on through training and transmission to five students.

Reiki healing became weaker, and in some cases, corrupted by greed, in the past 100 years. But some traditions have remained humble and pure.

Reiki as originally taught by Master Usui did not work with chakras. But more recent teachers have mixed Reiki training with other traditions to keep their students entertained.

Today, Reiki is a wonderful gift of healing that alleviates pain for many, and helps with illness. Some of us, though, are following the path of Master Usui and calling on deeper and deeper levels of healing so that Reiki may one day again perform healing miracles through us.

1. Janis Goad profile image87
      Janis Goadposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I am also a Reiki practitioner, and have experienced this powerful healing energy.  Practicing self-Reiki is also a tool for maintaining health and strengthening the immune system.

2. SidKemp profile image95
      SidKempposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree. I should have mentioned that. We can use Reiki on ourselves to heal, and also to release blocks and barriers, opening to greater healing power passiing through us.

working