Can a person be both an extrovert and a recluse?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)
  1. pagesvoice profile image72
    pagesvoiceposted 11 years ago

Can a person be both an extrovert and a recluse?

I'm certainly extroverted in my interactions with others. However, I do not do a lot of socializing, by choice. Although never intimidated to talk to anyone on a myriad of subjects, I do find  alone time is my preference. If I'm at a large gathering, I would rather seek out only one or two individuals to interact with.  Am I more the norm or the oddity in the room?

2. BigBlue54 profile image61
    BigBlue54posted 11 years ago

Hi pagevoice. No you are not alone as I to have no problem talking to anyone about anything. But at the same time I am a very private person. I am also a night owl and my partner has pointed out on several occasions that I tend to be quiet during the day but I come alive more at night. Also if I am near other people I do not like to be overheard while talking. This is often why I am quieter during the day.

As they say, "it takes all sorts to make a world". Besides, how boring would the world be if we were all the same.

Hope that helps.

PS A recluse would shun any contact with others so you are not a recluse.

pagesvoiceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think you did a super job in explaining your personality, which seems somewhat like mine. You're  correct. I'm not really a recluse, but I do treasure my private time.

3. fpherj48 profile image59
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

Well, Dennis...First of all, to determine what the "norm" or the "oddity" in the room is, we'd have to know every individual in the room, really well, in terms of many and varied aspects of their lives....wouldn't you agree?
    I found your self-disclosure quite interesting......but since I know you only vaguely, as a fellow-writer, I need to use myself, to create a logical comment.
    There is not a single doubt that anyone and everyone who knows me, readily describes me as, very personable, outgoing, witty, generous and sociable.  Further, my family and friends would and do say that I am fun to be with, trustworthy and always ready to help.  So far, this qualifies me as an "extrovert," according to Webster: A person who is more in his/her environment and other people than in him/herself...a person who is active and expressive, or other than introspective. 
    I might agree with this, because I'm so certain that I am seen this way and described in this manner........however, I am a very devout and self-proclaimed, "recluse."   I seldom CHOOSE to socialize.  I despise large crowds and noisy places.  On the other  hand, I love alone time.  I completely enjoy being at home, doing the many things I find pleasure in....reading, writing, sewing, watching a good movie, tending to my beloved pets, being involved in a home project.   I like feeling relaxed, peaceful and comfortable......which is what our home represents to most of us...My home does.  I am perfectly FINE, not seeing nor talking to another human, for days.   Of course, I'm married, and we do interact..LOL.....a lot.   
    We are polar opposites.  Jim is an A-Type personality, always going and doing and communicating with clients.   He whizzes past me a hundred times a day and I haven't the slightest urge to join him.  I just do MY thing.
    When he is not at home....I do not answer the phone.  In fact, I hate the phone.  We have been in this home for nearly 12 years, and I have never once, brought the mail in.  We have tenants who live on our property and I could not tell you their names.  I wave to them. Period.  My husband does the grocery shopping.  He told me the other day, that everyone thinks he's a bachelor......LOL. 
    So, Dennis....Which am I?   The replies you get should prove to be very interesting.  I do not think you are odd at all.  If you are, then obviously, I am too.
    It matters not to me.  I am who I am and I am happy 95% of the time.  The other 5%, I'm sleeping!!   GOOD question, Dennis.

Bingo! You just described me to a tee, except for the sewing part. I'm an insomniac and my wife who's still teaching after 38 yrs. requires a lot of sleep. Home is my sanctuary, with the company of my dogs and the animals that visit daily.

2. BigBlue54 profile image61
      BigBlue54posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I thought for a minute my partner had answer this question. You have described her to a tee. Will help friends and family, hates shopping and would sooner be at home.

3. cat on a soapbox profile image92
      cat on a soapboxposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Excellent answer!  I can definitely relate also. I am extroverted socially but need personal "recluse" time to recharge and tend to my other favorite non-social activities.

4. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 11 years ago

I would have to agree with the majority, but from a different perspective. I am an introvert. I can be along in a crowd.  However, in my past careers and my current stage of life, it is necessary to interact. So while I may not have the qualities of a true extrovert, I am more naturally a recluse, who has to step into the deep waters and put forth the effort to me more of an extrovert than an introvert.

The add to the oddity of this mix, there are two things I will share with you. I do not like it when I call people and answer the phone. I always hope the person I want is not in so I can leave a message and have them call me back. I feel I am imposing on their time when I call. However, when they return my call, they know I am waiting for them.

Finally, as I have stated many times I have a speech impairment--not so bad, but still there (voice-recognition software recognition software goes haywire when I try it.) However, I do not mind public speaking. I have given close to 100 speeches in the last 30 years--not a lot, but they never bothered me as an adult. As a high-school student, I hated to read in front of the class.

Thank you for your candidness. I'm opposite of you regarding the phone. If I call someone I want them to answer, but if I don't recognize caller ID I never answer an incoming call. I was also the kid who couldn't wait for his turn to read aloud.

5. EsmeSanBona profile image81
    EsmeSanBonaposted 11 years ago

On the Myer-Brigg Personality test introvert/extrovert is one of the assessments.  I always score an X instead of an I or a E. 

On that test though, which is based on Carl Jung's writings, introvert and extrovert do not refer for being outgoing or being reclusive.  Instead, introvert and extrovert refer to where you get your energy, what keeps you going.  Do you find yourself more energized when you are at home alone, or so you feel more energized when you socialize with others.  You don't even have to be talkative or actively engaged with other, just being around them is enough to make you an extrovert.

I always score dead even on that are because I do sometimes get a lot of energy from socializing and sometimes it just completely drains me.

I also need a lot of alone time--A LOT of it.  But too much just makes me start to get depressed and I feel isolated. 

I think the answer to your question is yes, yes you can.

I think your answer pretty much sums it up with "yes, yes."

6. Michaela Osiecki profile image67
    Michaela Osieckiposted 8 years ago

Dennis, it sounds to me like you might actually identify as a introvert more than an extrovert - introverts are not inherently shy or unable to socialize, it's just that we prefer to spend more time alone because that's how we recharge. Most of us can be quite outgoing and social in many situations.

pagesvoiceposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You have explained me perfectly!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)