jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Does microwaving water do something to the molecules?

1. oceansnsunsets profile image91
    oceansnsunsetsposted 4 years ago

Does microwaving water do something to the molecules?

Other than the obvious, does microwaving over heating water up in a kettle do something particular to the molecules that makes it dangerous to drink?  I heat up water all the time in a cup in the microwave, but someone said not long ago that it is not recommended to microwave because it mutates something in the water? 

I thought this had to be crazy, and even if it were true is it better to drink water heated in a different way?  Wondered if others have heard of this and their thoughts.  Thanks.

2. JimTxMiller profile image79
    JimTxMillerposted 4 years ago

Yes, I have heard this common urban legend, and you are correct in assuming that it is crazy. Heating water in a microwave oven does not alter the water's molecular structure in any way. The only difference between microwave heating and heating over a conventional heating source is that microwaving is much faster in nearly all cases.

1. oceansnsunsets profile image91
      oceansnsunsetsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Jim, that makes the most sense.  People spread this very wholeheartedly, one almost has to wonder.  I didn't think it made sense, but wanted to hear feedback from those even with different views.  Thanks for yours.

3. cassandralea profile image88
    cassandraleaposted 4 years ago

Microwaving anything causes the bonds of the molecules to be destroyed. So that the contents become indigestible mush. Boiling water is safer. And a toaster oven is what I use.

working