microwave cooking is not healthy...

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (19 posts)
  1. SparklingJewel profile image67
    SparklingJewelposted 13 years ago

not only does it destroy the nutrient values...

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic … zards.aspx

1. qwark profile image59
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Excessive heat does destroy nutrients.
      I ONLY cook with the microwave.
      Use a lower heat and increase cooking time.
      There is no problem at all cooking food with lower temps.
      Man has been cooking over fire for many ,many millenia.
      The microwave just produces heat.
      Use it wisely.
      I even poach eggs in the microwave.
      Practice makes perfect.

2. nikki1 profile image60
      nikki1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Possibly use your microwave to slow cook your meals/food with a lid. To protect it from the high heat/. Depending on what you are cooking. There are microwavable cook ware on the market that can help. Its just not recommended looking at your food cooking with the high lighting inside. It can damage your sight. The power can also mess up your blow up your cell phone as well. With the high frequency.

2. MikeNV profile image68
    MikeNVposted 13 years ago

It just kills the food.  So you eat dead food.

Most anything that processes food will kill the true nutritive value of the food.

While I appreciate what Mercola does to help bring issues to light... in my view he is money grubbing scum.  Everything he does has a dollar value attached to it.  His recommendations are based on what he can profit from not what is the best product for the purpose.

He takes other peoples work then has his staff post it so he can make a few comments.

He also bases much of what he says not on research but opinion.

Microwaves are certainly not something that is going to benefit the nutritional value of food... but they have been around a very long time and people are not dropping dead from using them.

You can not escape radiation.  Whether you have a microwave or not you are blasted by cell phone signals, television signals, Wi fi, etc.  Your home is alive with radiation of all kinds whether you have the equipment to utilize it or not.

FYI:  I do not use a microwave, and I support what Mercola is publishing here... I just don't personally like the guy or his tactics.

3. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

I stopped using microwave ovens completely a few years ago smile

1. Origin profile image61
      Originposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's hard to stop when you want a warm meal and you need to leave for work in 5 minutes. tongue

1. Misha profile image64
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When you know you don't have this easy way out, you just start planning a tad better. Not a big deal, really. smile

2. edguider profile image64
      edguiderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Same here, I even gave mine away to my friend, I only use the oven to heat now

4. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Origin, maybe better initiative from those who plan, might be helpful, so that that occurrence does not happen. hmm wink

5. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Actually, microwaves cook things from the inside out. Therefore, yeah, practice is required, but does not make the food any healthier. wink

1. qwark profile image59
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cags:
      Healthy cooked food?
      Didn't ya mean "healthful?"
      Just pullin' ' yer leg!  ...:-)

6. SparklingJewel profile image67
    SparklingJewelposted 13 years ago

cooking food from the inside out is not healthy...it's not natural..the molecules get all screwed up...that is not healthy!

microwaves destroy any natural integrity of the food...we are what we eat!

and if one has a spiritual
    perspective...the food is dead and has no "living" substance/light/chi/energy/God substance...is perverted...that affects us

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Jewels, you know I like dispelling misconceptions and I'd like to give you a clue about something? hmm

Human spirituality only has two things to regard - love and compassion.

It has nothing to do with the food we eat. yikes

SparklingJewelposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...only to those of limited perspective that believe they are separate from the universe...smile

1. Beth100 profile image70
          Beth100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is about food, specifically microwaving, not spiritual viewpoints!! 

And with that, there are only two emotions:  love and fear.

2. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

1.  Cooking food at all is not natural (unless you have a built-in stove in your throat).  Molecules get screwed up?  Microwaves energize the H-O bond, which immediately returns to the lower level emitting heat.  They don't "screw up" molecules.

2.  Natural integrity of food?  What in the world is THAT?

3.  All MY food is dead; personally I find it perverted to eat living animals.  Even my plant based food has usually been out of the ground long enough to die.

SparklingJewelposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...you might study "prana" in Hinduism...old texts...to get a sense of "living food" that has integrity...smile

7. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

I never use microwaves.  The microwaves actually "jiggle" the molecules of the food, eventually the bonds between them break (simple chemistry), thus creating new bonds and a new product.  It may look and feel the same, but it no longer is the same food.  The new bonds within the food have proven to be carcinogenic when we consume and break it down further.  On the other hand, many of the foods we consume already contain carcinogenic ingredients.  Double whammy!  No thanks!

8. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I have my concerns about the microwave oven, but pretty much most ways you cook anything does something to take away the nutrients.  That leaves fresh fruits and vegetables, which is great - but then you get into the thing where you're worried about not being able to effectively get rid of any bad stuff by washing them, so there's that issue with fresh fruits and vegetables.  (E.coli shows up in some batch of produce every so often, but that's not the only contaminant to think about.)

Cooking something well enough gets rid of bacteria, so it just seems like a trade-off to me.  I'd rather have nutrition-reduced carrots from the microwave oven than "E.coli carrots" from the refrigerator - but maybe that's just me.  smile  I don't know....    There's only so much wheel-spinning I want to do about food.  I don't think worrying and wheel-spinning over every little food issue is the healthiest thing to do either.  hmm

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)