jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Pea size knot on jaw joint next to ear, TMJ/TMD?

1. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 4 years ago

Pea size knot on jaw joint next to ear, TMJ/TMD?

Is getting a knot next to the ear at the jaw a normal part of TMJ/TMD or does it need treatment?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

Sounds like TMJ peeples. I think I would see a doctor to be on the safe side if it doesn't go away in a week or so.

peeplesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!

3. Dr. Aaron LeBauer profile image72
    Dr. Aaron LeBauerposted 4 years ago

you might just be feeling the joint capsule.  If you are having pain and rubbing it you might just be noticing something that is already there.  However there is a possibility that it is not something that should be there.  TMJ is the TemporoMandibular Joint, TMD is Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction.   Have you had jaw, mouth, ear or neck pain before?  Have you been diagnosed with TMD or other condition?

I had horrible issues with TMJ as a teen. This is not something that is normally there and my jaw hurts to open. I also have a headache but can not tell if this is related or from recent concussion. Thanks!

2. Dr. Aaron LeBauer profile image72
      Dr. Aaron LeBauerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

With your questions, concerns and current symptoms, and your recent concussion, you should see a medical provider such as your primary care physician, physical therapist or the last provider you saw for these issues.

3. peeples profile image93

Thank you. Just didn't know if it would be silly to go to Dr for something so minor.

4. SmartAndFun profile image95
    SmartAndFunposted 4 years ago

Any chance it could be a swollen lymph node or a swollen salivary gland?

I wish, I'd be less worried. This is too far up and sitting in the jaw joint where when I open my mouth it sends pain into my jaw.

5. calynbana profile image82
    calynbanaposted 4 years ago

I have the same issue on the left side and I was told it was my TMJ. I haven't been able to properly open my mouth for months now. I heard that magnesium will work wonders though I am going to give it a try, perhaps you should as well? Right now I use hot and cold compresses, and massage the knot. Often it will loosed a little and the pain is lessened for a while.

1. calynbana profile image82
      calynbanaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Also if you have a Spoonk (acupuncture mat) and you lay your face on it the knot may be relieved. I had a full day of being able to open my mouth once after the acupuncture :p

working