jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Vedanta Yoga

1. greencha profile image70
    greenchaposted 5 years ago

Vedanta Yoga

Vedanta Yoga is based on the most ancient scriptual texts,. Do you practice Vedanta Yoga? If so do you find benefit from it?

2. SidKemp profile image94
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

I am aware of Vedanta yoga, and I use some of its practices. Vedanta includes spiritual theology and a number of types of yoga. Actual practices today are mostly built on later interpetations of the Vedas. Philosophically, I find Advaitist Vedanta of great value, and the teachings of Ramana Maharshi are the clearest available in English.

All yoga practices have their roots in the Vedanta. In addition to philosophy (with self-inquiry), one can also practice devotion (bhakti); the path of service, like Gandhi (karma yoga); and physical yoga (asanas, or postures) with breathing (pranayama).

The purifications of yogic practice are beneficial to physical health, and also support concentration in prayer and meditation. That works whether the prayer is Hindu, Buddhist, Christian, or any other type. The benefits are based more on physiological facts than on religious beliefs.

1. greencha profile image70
      greenchaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thankyou SidKemp for such an interesting answer. Many regards C

3. east-west pro profile image65
    east-west proposted 13 months ago

Yoga is actually vedanta!. Vedanta requires study of the scriptures- sastras like Bhagavad Gita- a commentary on the source books - Upanishads! Sankaracharya had written commentary- bhashyas on 10 upanishads like Isavasya Upanishad, Kenopanishad etc.,. They are pramanas.
    Upanishad or Vedanta talks about the consciousness as the only reality!
    Vedanta says " You are already free, and freedom is freedom from the notion that I am bound."
    In your awareness the whole exists" you are the whole" declares Vedanta!