jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is the role of women in the Hindu religion and in Buddhism? And are there w

1. Mr. Happy profile image81
    Mr. Happyposted 6 years ago

What is the role of women in the Hindu religion and in Buddhism? And are there women who are monks?

Just curious. I never see many women involved in these religions as well. I know for example, that the Judaic religions (Judaism, Christianity and Islam) are quite oppressive in this sense so I was wandering how the eastern religions treat women.

2. Vinaya Ghimire profile image88
    Vinaya Ghimireposted 6 years ago

At first the Buddha did not allow women to become a monk, but when his mother wanted to enter monastic life, he could not deny. And thus Buddhism, since its inception, allowed women to become monk.
    In Hinduism women have special position. Aditi is the Mother Goddess even worshiped by the Gods in the Vedas, the most sanctified scriptures in Hinduism. The Vedas mention many women seers. Upanishads are the philosophical discourse in Hinduism and there are many women philosophers in the Upanishads.

3. Seeker7 profile image96
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

I don't know the answer but I was just very interested in your question Mr. Happy and the response from Vinaya Ghimire - really fascinating.

I was thinking though that if you take the main belief systems out of the equation as regards to the West, then looking towards the Pagan belief systems, women have a very important part to play and men and women are equal. I think this has to be one of the most appealing aspects of these belief systems.

4. multifunctions profile image59
    multifunctionsposted 3 years ago

देहो देवालयः प्रोक्तः जीव देवः सनातनः।
    त्यजेत् ज्ञान निर्माल्यम् सोहम् भावेन पूजयेत।।
    meaning: the body (my body , your body and any bodily incarnation) is the temple of god. the soul is the god (every soul atma आत्मा , is the indivisible part of paramatma परमात्मा the god , supreme soul) from time immemorial ,forever.
    sacrificing(leaving) the collected knowledge by the senses , in every breath I pray.
    so, in purity of hindu religion , there is no difference in women , men or in any body form , everything is a part of god and is by being a part is god.

i will quote one more example .
    we call the universe ब्रह्माण्ड  ब्रह्म अण्ड "bramhaand " the the egg of the supreme soul and अम्बा amba is the goddess holds this egg( amb means egg and +a indicates the mother of this amb , the amba). so , this womenly existence brings the whole universe to life, every moment and forever, incessently

working