jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)

Would you drive over an hour to a good doctor or go to a fair one 10 minutes awa

1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 4 years ago

Would you drive over an hour to a good doctor or go to a fair one 10 minutes away?

2. MickS profile image74
    MickSposted 4 years ago

My grandfather, when he was 70, cycled 10 miles to tell his doctor he didn't feel well, rather than walk to the end of the road to go to the nearest doctor.  I think it is far more important to travel to see a good doctor than the convenience of a near, mediocre doctor.

3. Anna Evanswood profile image78
    Anna Evanswoodposted 4 years ago

It depends what the problem is. If it a cold or flu or something that you have suffered with before and you are looking for a medical certificate go  to the fair doctor.

If you have a serious issue or you are not sure what is wrong go to the good doctor.  The reasoning behind this is , if is a serious/unknown problem the fair doctor may not be able to help and you will end up going to the good doctor afterwards anyway.

4. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 4 years ago

A good doctor is one you trust to take the best care of your health possible and you have built up a relationship with. A convenient substitute rarely fills the bill unless it is an emergency. Distance would never be a factor in my decision.

5. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

Take the drive peeples. You cannot put a price or a time limit on your health. Hope you are okay.

6. Maggie Bennett profile image73
    Maggie Bennettposted 4 years ago

I would drive to see the good doctor.  My son had a problem when younger and I drove him to two different states to see the best doctors in the country for what he had.  The three hours drive and the tolls meant nothing to me, all that mattered was that my son got the best chance possible.  It paid off for me too.

I myself have a fantastic GP who I got through traveling with my son for his doctors. I asked one of them if they knew a good doctor closer to me for myself and they referred me.

All we have is our health and there is nothing that will keep me from seeing the best if it is within my means to do so.

7. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

It would depend on my ailment. If it is a minor ailment or injury I might see the closer doctor...say if I had a cold or cut my finger or something minor.  But if I thought I was really ill, I would travel the hour to the better doctor.

8. MissJamieD profile image72
    MissJamieDposted 4 years ago

I personally would rather drive 2 hours to a good doctor than visit one I can't trust 100%. No question, hands down. Of course if money is an issue, I know that many insurance companies will help you pay for rides to doctors as well, you just have to get the details of your insurance company. Even without insurance, If I had to make a choice and I had the gas money to get that far away, I'd take the trip.

9. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 4 years ago

if it is just cough and flu, i would go to the pharmacy instead. I would go for an hour drive if it is a serious problem.

10. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

The good doctor. Trust me, the drive is worth it.

11. BlissfulWriter profile image70
    BlissfulWriterposted 4 years ago

Drive an hour to see a good doctor.   Driving is not a problem.  Just have to make time for it.  I used to drive an hour to work everyday.

12. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 4 years ago

Thanks everyone. We made the long drive yesterday. Normally I see the close to home doctor, but this time I needed a more advanced doctor. I was just really dreading the long drive knowing that the ride would take up almost 3 hours round trip. Thanks again for all the answers!

13. MizBejabbers profile image90
    MizBejabbersposted 4 years ago

You definitely need to develop a relationship with the good doctor no matter how far away. However, one needs a convenient medical source in case of a quick visit for an allergic reaction or something that won't wait an hour. I would go to a doc-in-the-box for a cold or the flu or to have a cut stitched. Emergency room copays are priced way out of line for those of us who have insurance.

14. Abby Campbell profile image94
    Abby Campbellposted 4 years ago

Definitely go to the doctor that you are most confident with. If it's the one an hour away, go to him/her. I could take my adult daughter who has autism and other neurological problems right down the street from me, but I opt to take her to a doctor who is an hour drive from me because I know her treatment will be top-notch. Going to someone "fair" is not qualified in this area (in my honest opinion).

working