jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

What activities helps ease your pain

1. Lor's Stories profile image61
    Lor's Storiesposted 4 years ago

What activities helps ease your pain

For all of those dealing with Chronic pain what activity helps to distract you from pain?

2. Theophanes profile image97
    Theophanesposted 4 years ago

Anything that can take my mind off it really. I have chronic pain that is related to movement so many of my little activities are things I can do while sitting in one place - writing, knitting, sculpting, drawing, and even occasionally painting. I am probably missing some things but that's what I always find comfort in. I also enjoy loosing myself in books and documentaries.

Lor's Storiesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I have a spine injury so I usually try to read or watch a movie. On super good days I play the piano;

3. Jlbowden profile image91
    Jlbowdenposted 4 years ago

Hello Lor:
    The things that you just mentioned will help keep your mind off of chronic pain, without having to resort to a daily regimen of pain pills for one.  Knitting, writing and even watching a good movie or two, by streaming it to your laptop, or Ipad if you own one, can be a good way to get your mind, not only off of what is going on within your body. But also off of yourself and every other little thing around you. 

Walking is also beneficial to put you in touch with the outdoor environment. And if you can't get outside, even a little, then maybe a stationary bicycle, or second hand treadmill, will help you loosen up those muscles and tendons, that can often add to our pain.

Also try getting into yoga a little if possible and meditation is good for the mind.   Besides that, it sounds like you are on the right track with the painting and drawing.  Utilize those creative abilities that God gave us all, to help you get through the pain for now.  Hope my little bit of extra input helps.  Believe me I have a family member, who never leaves the house, because of the same pain that you are dealing with.  My best to you for a healthier and more pain free future!

Lor's Storiesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Well I'm don't take pills. Nope. I write and read. I try to meditate outside when the weather is nice. Sometimes a nap helps. But yoga! Hard to do when your spine is fused.
      Thank you.

4. krillco profile image93
    krillcoposted 4 years ago

Hands down, meditation and contemplative prayer.

5. jravity1 profile image70
    jravity1posted 4 years ago

Martial arts, I know what it sounds like. In martials arts, there is what is called chi. It is a force is in all of us. It gives us energy, it is everywhere in everything. Martial arts give a person way to release that. Even if you can't move much  Tai Chi is a great place to start to get your energy moving in the right path.