jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What do you do if you can't fall asleep?

1. MomsTreasureChest profile image90
    MomsTreasureChestposted 4 years ago

What do you do if you can't fall asleep?

Sometimes I'll take a warm bath or drink hot chocolate, or take an over the counter sleep aid.  Or sometimes I'll do all three.  What do you do to help yourself fall asleep when you're having a hard time?

2. cathylynn99 profile image76
    cathylynn99posted 4 years ago

3 mg of melatonin can be a big help. when that isn't enough, I take 1/2 tsp. of powdered ginger in a glass of warm sweetened skim milk. neither leaves me tired the next day as antihistamines in OTC sleep aids can. both have anti-coagulant properties, so you should let your doc know if you take them, especially if an operation is planned.

an orgasm is followed by relaxation and can get your mind off the troubles of the day, allowing sleep.

I agree with the warm bath, but chocolate is actually a stimulant and might be counter-productive.

3. Barbara Kay profile image90
    Barbara Kayposted 4 years ago

Sometimes the reason you can't fall asleep is because you used the computer too late at night. The bright light tells your mind that it is daytime. The same with a Kindle or other device like that.

I asked my doctor about the safest over-the-counter product to use if I couldn't sleep and he suggested Benadryl. Usually it works for me, but sometimes not.

I've heard taking a warm bath at bedtime is a bad idea. It heats up the body and you need to be cooler to sleep. Hot chocolate has caffeine in it too that can keep you awake.

Sometimes I'll get up and eat toast and just have a tiny bit of hot chocolate with it. It seems to help me. Some nights, I just can't sleep.

4. Hariom Singhal profile image60
    Hariom Singhalposted 4 years ago

Count reverse counting staring from 100 t0 1.Sometime you get sleep up-to 80,
    If you do not get sleep by this way then try homeopathic remedies coffea 30 two drops on tongue.