jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Can working from home cause eventual loneliness?

1. beverley byer profile image88
    beverley byerposted 4 years ago

Can working from home cause eventual loneliness?

2. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 4 years ago

No, you can get on with it and not have to put up with people keep on coming and talking to you.  The best job I ever had was as a storeman, working by myself on the night shift.

3. Joan King profile image72
    Joan Kingposted 4 years ago

It would depend on your personality. If you are a highly sociable person and enjoy  the company of co-workers then you may experience loneliness. however, if you crave quiet time most of the time, enjoy working alone and you still have a social life outside of your work at home you won't be lonely. When working at home, you can still take a coffee brake or lunch break away from home and that way you don't feel too isolated.

4. LongTimeMother profile image97
    LongTimeMotherposted 4 years ago

I guess it could. Depends on who you have at home with you, and how often you see other faces.

Are you working from home? Is loneliness an issue for you? Or are you considering becoming a home body and just doing your research first?

It's a thought-provoking question, that's for sure. smile

1. beverley byer profile image88
      beverley byerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. I work from home now. But a family member who did the same thing just decided to return to the office.

5. thebiologyofleah profile image90
    thebiologyofleahposted 4 years ago

I am three weeks into working from home full time, I think it definitely can cause loneliness and my plan of attack is to make plans during the evening after work to see friends and family. It's a drawback of working from home but there are many positives to it.

6. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 4 years ago

if you have been staying with your family for a long time and all of a sudden you are required to stay overseas due to job requirement, yes, loneliness can be painful and  silence is scary. I would cry due to fear.