jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (17 posts)

When was humanity ever sane?

1. mintinfo profile image74
    mintinfoposted 4 years ago

When was humanity ever sane?

In the wake of the marathon bombing I keep hearing people say "humanity has lost its sanity". Was there ever a point in human history when sanity was the norm or is it a fleeting illusion?

2. wqaindia profile image81
    wqaindiaposted 4 years ago

Some say that time has come when it will be difficult to survive. I mean to say "Survival of the Fittest" theory is in place. But since the stone age can you quote even a single example when the theory was not in vogue. Indian theory of co-existence - "Live and Let Live" is the need of the time. We need to shun Lust, Anger, Delusion, Greed, Over Pride, Jealousy, Mind, Intellect, Will and Ego to be called sane.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image97
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 years ago

Must've been during those "good old days" we always hear about. Y'know, when God was in His heaven and all was right with the world.

4. Jlbowden profile image92
    Jlbowdenposted 4 years ago

Not in any way to implore humor in the unfortunate marathon incident. But In my opinion, most of humanity lost it-way before the caveman. In fact a monkey has more brains, then some crazed individuals who use such evil tactics, to harm another fellow human being.  I like to refer to those people, as "Satan's Puppets!"

5. cebutouristspot profile image76
    cebutouristspotposted 4 years ago

Maybe back when there was no religion/power/money that drive a person.  When people just work for his own survival and everybody respect nature.  But I could be wrong smile

6. coleikerd profile image81
    coleikerdposted 4 years ago

I quote Tommy Lee Jones in Men in Black: "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky animals, and you know it." While not about sanity, specifically, similar applies here.

In general, a single person is relatively reasonable and sane. Get people together, however, views clash, and beliefs are tested. That's the recipe for "crazy stew".

We are all sane and reasonable when we want to be. The key is for us to treat each other as if we are sane, and do our best to be sane too.

1. mintinfo profile image74
      mintinfoposted 4 years agoin reply to this

This is exactly why some are trying to create a new world order. The problem; it becomes a group and groups operate by their ideology at the exclusion of the majority. Catch 22

2. coleikerd profile image81
      coleikerdposted 4 years agoin reply to this

7. MarleneB profile image96
    MarleneBposted 4 years ago

Define sane! I'm scratching my head now and wondering if there ever was a time when humanity was sane. To definitively answer the question, I would have to answer, never!

It never seems to happen, but I keep hoping society will reach a point when we will not tolorate certain crimes anymore and then do something about it.

8. profile image0
    lesliebyarsposted 4 years ago

I would say a fleeting illusion. Their has always been some sort of chaos and confusion amongst us.

9. velzipmur profile image79
    velzipmurposted 4 years ago

The answer is no. Take a look down through history and you will see that the human race has always been insane. Of course some of us individuals are perfectly fine, but as a whole we are crazy.

10. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

At any given time somewhere around the world there are major atrocities taking place. We kid ourselves by believing just because nothing bad is happening in our country, state, town, or on our street at the time that the whole world is living in peace and harmony.
    Even biblically dating back to Kane and Abel (one brother killing the other) was the start of a decline in humanity and civilization.
    Nothing is new!

1. Express10 profile image89
      Express10posted 4 years agoin reply to this

You took the words out of my mouth. Some level of insanity appears to be the norm.

11. ketage profile image81
    ketageposted 4 years ago

Humanity has never been sane, sanity is an illusion that society has created.
    Right this second, while you are reading this, there is a total whack job, creating mayhem somewhere in this sad world of ours.

12. manatita44 profile image83
    manatita44posted 4 years ago

The Soul is always free and life Itself is a quest for this Freedom. This earthy Sojourn will necessitate 'experiences' along the way.. As along as we are in the body we will pay the price. This can come in the form of insanity as we know it, or the so-called norm. We all carry a bit of something. The Soul gives us what it needs in order to move on.

We are still, to an extent, animalistic, if that's what you mean, but in the midst of it all, life can nevertheless be beautiful and has purpose. Ask the saint. You and I can help. Sometimes it is better not to worry about what we cannot change, and change or transform what we can. Remember that there is always recourse to prayer and 'change begins with me.' Strive to leave well. Let us pray for one another.

13. lilmissmeg profile image60
    lilmissmegposted 4 years ago

before money became the source to get power

14. hauntedpillows profile image60
    hauntedpillowsposted 4 years ago

The implication that humanity was always insane is a fallacious notion. The nature of sanity is that it is the norm. But if we have always been "insane" then wouldn't what we perceive as insane actually be the norm? I guess I think that people are afraid to admit that a completely average person is capable of loosing it and maybe killing some people. Someone with no history of violence or mental illness or whatever can do something that makes our stomach's churn. I think that under certain circumstances we're all capable of starting a bar fight, committing suicide, or even homicide.

However these scary emotions are tapped infrequently for most of us. So when some hyped up tragedy occurs we look pretty damn hard for a fatal flaw in our perpetrator. We try to demonize him or her. And the most chilling thing is when we can't because then maybe we really are animals after all.