jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

If you had to chose would you rather lose a limb or be paralyzed

1. Lor's Stories profile image59
    Lor's Storiesposted 4 years ago

If you had to chose would you rather lose a limb or be paralyzed

In light of seeing people recovering from The bombing in Boston and losing a limb which is worse, losing a leg or being paralyzed.

2. Abby Campbell profile image94
    Abby Campbellposted 4 years ago

Oh gosh! That is a difficult thing to ponder. I guess it depends on how much of my body would be paralyzed. I would choose a limb if it was complete paralyzation. Then again, I think I would rather lose a limb as most paralyzations are from the waist down or the neck down. Lose an arm or leg would be easier than not feeling anything.

Lor's Storiesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. I'm doing this for research.

3. lburmaster profile image85
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

Losing a limb. Paralyzed is much worse. They have replacement limbs made. Since most limbs lost in the bombing were legs, I could have a squeaky prosthetic.

Thank you . I'm doing research based on personal issues. I will write a hub on it one day. I'd rather lose a limb. Unfortunately I may need to figure out what to do if I ever need to face the other.

2. lburmaster profile image85
      lburmasterposted 4 years agoin reply to this

That's a difficult decision. Good luck.

4. Marie Flint profile image92
    Marie Flintposted 4 years ago

Of course, no rational person would choose either condition; however, I suppose I'd prefer to be paralyzed with the hope that I would fully recover body faculties. Prosthetics have come a long way, but there is nothing like one's own leg--or arm. Personally, I prefer not to have anything artificial relating to my body. My eyeglasses are even an issue. However, if one is faced with a circumtance that allows a limited choice, it is best to accept that circumstance with calmness of mind and heart and learn about one's options. Then make the decision which seems most practical. I, for one, would need to consider cosmetic appearance in addition to function for a happy psyche. It helps to remember that the spiritual vehicle is perfect, and it is the spiritual body that will endure. ***

Do you understand that being paralyzed means you are in severe pain?
      And depending on the level of the spine impacted you would be on a breathing machine. The spine controls everything. I should know since part of my spine is damaged

5. Lady Guinevere profile image60
    Lady Guinevereposted 4 years ago

I don't have an answer to this but I do know the pain of a DVT and that it comes from the lack of oxygen in the blood stream to that part of the body.  You mentioned that you have spinal paralysis or something to that effect.  Have you tried this website:  http://www.christopherreeve.org/site/c. … Center.htm
    I also have watched PBS video's that show that the brain can develop new pathways to things that have gone wrong in the brain and in the body.  Thoughts can also change things in the body.  There is so much new developments in this feild that it is hard to keep up with.  I do hope that you get your answers and your health and body back.  Who knows what they will come out with in the next 10 years!

Thanks. There is a point where I may need to consider living with paralysis.
      My doctor sees stem cells on the horizon but they need to be mine.
      Last year was the year of fear. Since I needed surgery so I would not be paralyzed

2. Lady Guinevere profile image60
      Lady Guinevereposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I cn undersnd the fear.  Ive had 3 DVT's and it is lke walkn around with a timebomb.  No surgeries can fix this. Ive had 2 major hernia surgeries and the dr didnt inform me of the muscle rehab and so I cant lift anything now. I hpe U got ur surgery.

3. Lor's Stories profile image59

Yes I had it last year. They had to pull my skull off my brainstem and then reconstruct the first 6 veritable of my cervical spine.
      It saved my life but the damage it caused to my nervous system is a bit too much.

working