Why does God choose some and reject others?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (45 posts)
  1. jacobkuttyta profile image43
    jacobkuttytaposted 11 years ago

Why does God choose some and reject others?

2. ro-jo-yo profile image83
    ro-jo-yoposted 11 years ago

As I live, saith the Lord YEHOWAH, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live : turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die , O house of Israel?

It is people who choose or reject the Almighty YEHOWAH.

3. SwordofManticorE profile image69
    SwordofManticorEposted 11 years ago

Where does it say that God rejects anyone?

1. PlanksandNails profile image80
      PlanksandNailsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And Saul answered, “I am deeply distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God has departed from me and does not answer me anymore, neither by prophets nor by dreams. - 1 Samuel 28:15

Saul rejected God, so God rejected Him.

2. SwordofManticorE profile image69
      SwordofManticorEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am talking about after we depart from this vessel, not while we are still in it.

4. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

God is not a "respector of persons" therefore god does not "choose" sides. We get to choose god.

1. SwordofManticorE profile image69

God says otherwise.

John 15:16   You did not choose me, but I chose you.

2. Judah's Daughter profile image77
      Judah's Daughterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Jesus was speaking to His twelve disciples in that passage, SwrodofManticorE.

Thats right, He choose all twelve of them including Judas and the apostel Paul. None of them choose Christ.

5. mackyi profile image66
    mackyiposted 11 years ago

I think you have made a mistake in the way you phrase the question jacobkuttyta! I think you wanted to ask why does some people choose God and others reject him? If not, I think you got it twisted, because "My God" loves us all so much that he sent his only son to die for our sins(John 3:16)! I don't see how this can be interpreted as him loving some and despising others!

6. Jackie Lynnley profile image85
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 11 years ago

It appears this way to us many times, but what God gives everyone is free will and we do the choosing. Maybe family and friends influence many and have many going down a wrong path but the spirit inside lets everyone know good from bad, and we either listen or ignore. Even Christians fail in many way although they cling to Christ and will receive salvation their reward in heaven will be affected by the seeds they have sown...or failed to. So anyway, if we see someone God seems to be overly blessing, we should look at what they are doing for a clue.

7. profile image0
    JenineMianaposted 11 years ago

The Bible tells us that the Lord sees the hearts of all men (people). God is eternal and always present, always was, always is, and always will be. He knows in advance who will choose Him and who will fellowship with HIm. He calls us and we either respond or not. He wants us to love Him because we love Him, not because we feel forced to love Him, just like a parent. He wants us to come to Him and He draws us near. Those whose hearts are ready will draw near Him, and respond to Him as His Holy Spirit presents Himself to them. Those who are closed off can never see nor hear God so obviously they will not respond to Him. That is not to say that later they won't but some people never will and that is their choice. Jesus died for the whole world. He wants NONE to perish, so the choosing is really on our side and whether we respond to His call.

1. Precious Pearl profile image76
      Precious Pearlposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I love this response and totally agree.  Thank you JenineMiana.

8. ecoggins profile image90
    ecogginsposted 11 years ago

There are times in the Bible when God did choose certain individuals for special purposes. For instance, God chose Abram rather his two brothers; Jacob rather than Esau; and Judah rather than his other brothers to carry the line of the Messiah; he also chose David rather than his brothers. Jesus chose 12 disciples to mentor over against the others in the crowd. In the same way, God may choose to promote a particular person as pastor of a church or as head of a country over against other seemingly more qualified candidates. But, in general God chose His Son Jesus Christ and all those who would willingly choose to accept and follow him. I think JenineMiana said it well.

1. Pollyannalana profile image61
      Pollyannalanaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

These here that God chose I feel was clearly because of their love for Him, so again it really is the hearts reaching out to God that are chosen. Many scriptures point this out also.

9. Judah's Daughter profile image77
    Judah's Daughterposted 11 years ago

Because some choose God and others reject Him.  The doctrine of Calivinism (double pre-destination) is a false doctrine.

So is Arminian theology

2. Judah's Daughter profile image77

Rom 6:16 "Do you not know that when YOU present YOURSELVES to someone as slaves for obedience, YOU are slaves of the one whom YOU obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness?"

Death? What form of death did Paul mean?

10. profile image0
    SparrowMinistriesposted 11 years ago

Because some choose Him and others reject Him. It has always been an enigma, a paradox, rather, that both predestination and free will exist simultaneously. The Bible clearly teaches that both are in play and we humans try our best to make sense of it, but we are finite, and our minds in the natural do not grasp the wonders of God.  I have heard it said that if we could explain God, He wouldn't be God.

I chose to become a follower of Christ, but as soon as I did, He said, You did not choose me but I chose you.  He says I was predestined before the foundation of the world.

Now some people would say we are all predestined, but the Bible doesn't really support that.  In my mind I can say God knew who would accept Him and who would reject Him, and He chose us based on that...but I don't know...

I do know that I am exceedingly grateful for His salvation, and I do know that He gave me the power to believe.

11. d.william profile image74
    d.williamposted 11 years ago

To try and answer this question by quoting from ANY religious book is never realistic, or logical.  The words written in these 'holy' missiles were written by men with an agenda.  Christians quote that God hates certain people and certain things they do, but these are not the words of god, they are words of judgmental men with personal agendas.  The greatest being control over others.
    I know of no realistic evidence that our creator (s) have deliberately rejected anyone for anything - only man does that to mankind.

12. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 11 years ago

Very cool question. You asked it in the present tense. The question presumes that God does, which is interesting. I do not know of any good authority or logic that indicates God is in the current business of rejection. My only evidence of this that I could "testify" to, is me. I am a sinner, I have in the past sinned. I do not always act in love so I am far short of the most simple rules. I do bad stuff. I hurt people from time to time.
    And God has never rejected me! That is why the question is so cool.
    Thanks for making me look at that concept. And no, that is not a get out of jail free card.

What does a get out of jail card supposed to mean?

2. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There often is a misconception that Christians believe they can sin and it is alright because on Sunday they confess and are forgiven. Like they get out of consequences for free. Well it does not work that way and the main concept is found in repent.

If one confesses his sins and asks for forgiveness, he is not forgiven? That is exactly how it works. The church implements more legislation to its followers than Moses did to the Jews.

4. Ericdierker profile image45

I think by AD they had about 800 laws. Confessing and asking forgiveness is not like a church ritual -- that is what I am saying. If you just try to play by rules, it does not work. You make it sound as though, if I say the words it works, nope.

13. Chris Neal profile image79
    Chris Nealposted 11 years ago

What do you mean by that. God loves everyone, but He doesn't allow everyone into Heaven. Is that what you mean?

1. profile image0
      SparrowMinistriesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Many are called but few are chosen.  Broad is the way that leads to destruction and many travel on it, but straight is the way and narrow is he gate that leads to life and few find it. Also read hemustincrease and Prophetic Insight's answer.

14. unvrso profile image84
    unvrsoposted 11 years ago

God does that because those who obey his commands are most likely to produce the acts that serve as an example for those who are lost in obscurity.

Those that are chosen by God are the ones who live accordingly to the basic principles of religion and God does not reject others.

The reason others get rejected is because they do not live according to God´s rules, but try to live according to their own rules and in the end they end up in misery.

15. miss_jkim profile image74
    miss_jkimposted 11 years ago

God has chosen all. He sent his son, Jesus Christ, to pay the price for eternal life and fellowship with God. It is man who rejects God.

16. Sinea Pies profile image62
    Sinea Piesposted 11 years ago

My understanding of the Bible is that God accepts everyone who accepts Him. That being accepting the gift He gave us by sending His son, Jesus, to die for our sins in our place. Can't imagine why anyone would turn down that offer but many do.

17. ReneeDC1979 profile image59
    ReneeDC1979posted 11 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7341378_f260.jpg

We all have free will - He created all of us - It is now up to us to choose God and accept Him in our life.  For whatever reason, we  do not trust Him enough to be the head of our life.

1. Judah's Daughter profile image77

Will and choice are two different things.  It's wiser to use the word 'choice', for we cannot NOT choose to follow one or the other.  No man can serve two Masters and there are only two.  We must choose.

2. ReneeDC1979 profile image59
      ReneeDC1979posted 11 years agoin reply to this

But the Bible says God gave us free will so that is why I used will either way it is our choice to follow God's will - the point is we reject Him not the other way around.

18. PlanksandNails profile image80
    PlanksandNailsposted 11 years ago

God has chosen us, and when He proves Himslelf, it is up to us to choose, or reject Him.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

If you look at the above verse closely, "loved" is in the past tense. This means that even though the world was and is in its fallen state, Jesus Christ died for the whole world, not just a few.

“No man can come to me, unless The Father who has sent me will draw him, and I shall raise him in the last day.” - John 6:44

God will only reject those who choose not to accept the Gospel of salvation. Salvation is not unconditional, but on the condition of walking out true faith in Him.

The Bible is full of accounts of the consequences of rejecting God, but also the blessings of those who choose to repent and trust and have faith in Him.

We cannot prove God; therefore, He proves Himself to man. Once He proves Himself, it is up to man to accept or reject His gift to **all** of mankind.

I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for **all** men; For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior; Who will have **all** men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. 1 Timothy 2:1-4

For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to **all** men,  - Titus 2:11

God rejects those that have the knowledge and truth of Him, but decide their ways are better than His.

For if we sin willfully **after** that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sins - Hebrews 10:26

1. Judah's Daughter profile image77

John 12:32 "And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, WILL draw ALL men to Myself."  Obviously, not ALL are saved, so this shoots 'irresistible grace' in the foot.  We can choose to reject His drawing, but we will be drawn.

19. profile image0
    hemustincreaseposted 11 years ago

(Romans chapter 9)

As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.

15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.

16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.

18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.

19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?

20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?

21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:

23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,

1. profile image0

hemustincrease, I thought of this passage, too. We have a tendency to want to defend God's honour, but He is the Almighty and He is good. His decisions are just and right and we cannot always explain them within our human limitations.

20. Prophetic Insight profile image65
    Prophetic Insightposted 11 years ago

The scriptures clearly say that He loved Jacob, and hated Esau. I know, I know, there are all kinds of people who like to blow a fog over that and "pretty it up" to be more "politically correct". But the truth is that He chooses some, and He rejects others.
    Paul the Apostle clearly references Pharaoh in Moses time. The scriptures are clear that God raised Pharaoh up, and God threw Pharaoh down. Its almost like God used Pharaoh as an item of show. Its like a wealthy man who spends a lot on fireworks just for the fun of burning it up!
    Paul confirms this, and Paul uses this example to teach us that God is sovereign. He chooses whom He chooses, and He rejects whom He rejects. In fact, the scriptures put it this way, "I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and compassion on whom I will have compassion."
    In other words, God does what He wants, when He wants, to whom He wants. And he is NOT politically correct. Don't believe me? Read your Bible! It is full of political incorrectness!
    That said, God doesn't care what the law of man says. God doesn't care for humanistic modernistic deceptive hogwash "God loves everybody". Its just not truth.
    He does whatever He wants with whomever He wants, and He doesn't need your vote! He doesn't have a heavenly facebook account, measuring His success by how many thumbs up He gets!
    He is God Most High. He is a consuming fire.
    Don't get me wrong. I believe in the Love of God more than most. More people need to experience the Love of God. But we have so watered it down, and so contaminated it with humanism. I believe it makes the Lord want to vomit seeing people walking around talking about how much God loves them while they break His heart, and offend Him deeply by their sinful lifestyles.
    Most Christian leaders would agree that the book of Acts is a model for the church. The book of Acts shows us what the church should look like.
    But don't forget the book of Acts says that God did mighty, fearsome things to the point where the fear of the Lord fell upon the church time and time again. When is the last time the fear of the Lord fell in your neighborhood?
    The greatest problem in the world today is not murder or terrorism. The greatest problem in the world today is churches who are staffed by leaders who are more concerned about offending somebody in their congregation than they are concerned about offending God. They are God-less, gutless, and powerless preachers compared to what we see in the Bible. We need Bible experience

1. profile image0

Strong words.  Faithful words.

2. Ericdierker profile image45

Compelling and passionate. I just have trouble with the tenses in your verbs. Did never has and never will translate fairly into does. I sure hope a parent does not treat a 15 year old like a two year -- if you get my point.

3. Judah's Daughter profile image77

Pharaoh committed evil against God's people; therefore, God's judgment was upon Him.  Pharaoh hardened his own heart; God hardened Pharaoh's heart - the rebellion against God happened first.  And in regard to Esau, God foresaw Esau's future choices.

4. Prophetic Insight profile image65
      Prophetic Insightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@ Judah's Daughter: Paul said,"sin is not imputed when there is no law".
      There is no evidence in the Bible that Pharaoh had the law of God. Therefore, sin cannot be imputed.
      Romans 9 CLEARLY says God hated Esau NOT because of what he done at any time

21. Aley Martin profile image65
    Aley Martinposted 11 years ago

God rejects no one. He is all loving and all powerful and is not judgmental, like most religious people.

22. silvatungfox profile image64
    silvatungfoxposted 10 years ago

God rejects no one. Man has choice to reject the journey, the quest, life. When I say man has choice it is in the realm of ego which is our own personal barrier to whatever our personal God is. The brain is not in control, it is a secondary organ. It is the heart that chooses the path. When in accord with the heart the choices or ways to slay our own dragons are what you are perceiving as a rejection by God. It was the choice not to take what Joseph Campbell calls the Hero Journey.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)