jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

How to explain the loss of all pets to children?

1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 4 years ago

How to explain the loss of all pets to children?

We bought a home not too long ago. We moved in and did a walk through of the yard. Found lots of trash but nothing harmful. Yet last week all 3 of our dogs got sick. One has already been put down and the other two will likely have to be put down this week. They found something we didn't see in the pasture. How do I explain the loss of all dogs to my children? They are taking the one hard already. One of these dogs has been with them their whole lives. I don't know what to tell them other than the blunt truth. How do I make this easier?

2. Joseph041167 profile image60
    Joseph041167posted 4 years ago

Yahoo email told me about your questions lately and I read them. You are asking very hard, very good questions. I like this one especially. Some of us adults are still dealing with questions like this. I decided not to wax eloquently or philosophically here. I decided that you are stressed right now. I have never been a parent. I do not know how to help you. I am an adult still struggling with these questions. Later in life I turned to Atheism and I am absolutely convinced, there is no doubt in my mind. But children do not want to hear the kinds of answers that are playing in my head lately, and neithor do I, frankly, but I must. Before I forget, please never let your dogs get into chocolate, it will kill them. Chocolate will make a dog very sick and potentiolly kill them. Some dogs can not handle table scraps eithor. Some can in small doses, perhaps. It might also depend on what kind of table scraps. We never could allow our dogs to get into chocolate. Gee, I do not know how to help you but my heart is with you. I suppose you could tell them that these things happen. Our dogs got into some poisen and they died. We can remember the good times we shared and be thankful. We can get some more pets. We will heal up in time. We will always miss them a little. I grew up with a Beagle named Missy, from about 5 y.o. until I was twelve. She was Candy's child, I still remember her as a toddler, she was also a pure bred Beagle. Missy's death tore me up completely, she was my child hood friend from pre-school, and now I was in Middle School. I still miss Missy very much, she is still in my heart, and I have pictures that I discovered years later, they are now in storage in Antioch. I no longer anticipate seeing Missy in heaven. But our atoms are eternal and recycling, the universe is one, the universe is. So, it's all good.

1. Joseph041167 profile image60
      Joseph041167posted 4 years agoin reply to this

if yaw'll get this. last night i was thinking and i started missing my Beagle Missy real bad after all these years. Missy is in my heart and soul. She is still with me. She is part of my existence, my story, my history, my life.

3. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

All you can do is tell them the truth. Tell they why the dogs got sick and why the one died and that the other two are very ill.  It is horrible, and sad but I don't think you have much choice other than to explain it to them.

Is there no hope they might pull through and is this something the kids could have gotten into?  How tragic - I'm so sorry.

4. Amber Vyn profile image60
    Amber Vynposted 4 years ago

I'm so sorry to read about the loss of your pets. I lived in the country when I was very little, and my dog and my neighbor's pony were my best friends.

I agree that the best thing to do is to tell the kids the truth: the dogs got sick, there's no medicine for them, and you and the vet will do everything possible to make the rest of the dog's lives as happy and comfortable as possible. 

A funny/sad-but-true story: When my friend was little, her dog passed away. Unable to find a way to break the news to her, her grandparents told her that the dog had been recruited into the army and deployed to Vietnam. After the war was over, she kept waiting for her dog to come home. Finally, she realized her grandparents had lied to her, which made it a double hit of losing her dog and dealing with the lies.

5. tuteramanda profile image59
    tuteramandaposted 4 years ago

children should be taught that the world is cruel,tell the truth

6. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 4 years ago

Thanks everyone. We think one may make it. The other is still in limbo. I appreciate everyone's answers.

7. fpherj48 profile image77
    fpherj48posted 4 years ago

peeples....First, let me say how sad I am that this has happened to your beloved pets!  This is terrible.
    I know how difficult it is to lose a pet and I have seen the reaction of children, when this happens.  It can break your heart.  However, it may be an opportunity to discuss "death" (horrible as it seems) with small children.  Of course, using gentleness and terms that they can easily understand. 
    It's so difficult to find the appropriate things to say and ways to say them.......because we parents do not want to frighten our kids, but we also are responsible to help them come to terms with all things in life....even those which make us really sad.   I think using honesty and reality.....with hugs and understanding.  Of course, brace yourself to answer the "questions" that will follow.