Of all the pets that have shared your life over the years, which do you miss the

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Besarien profile image85
    Besarienposted 2 years ago

Of all the pets that have shared your life over the years, which do you miss the most and why?

I miss our last cat the most. He was a Bombay and not the least bit aloof as many of our cats have been. We lost him summer before last to intestinal cancer. He was very social and loved to snuggle. He liked to sit on my shoulder when I was working around the house. I also took him to grocery shop with just his head sticking out of my purse. He had the deepest, loudest purr I've ever heard. He grew up with my son who also loved him dearly. We were wrecked when two operations failed get rid of his cancer when we had no other option but to euthanize.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12768411_f260.jpg

2. lisavollrath profile image95
    lisavollrathposted 2 years ago

I had a rat terrier who lived to one month short of his 18th birthday. I photographed him quite a bit, and used his pics whenever I was testing a new digital technique. His photo was in work that has gone into books, and into digital zines I've published, and into some I have hanging on the walls here at home. He lived so long, he was completely blind and deaf in the last year of his life, which meant I had to spend some extra time helping him find his way.

Even though I now have two new dogs, I think about him often, and unfortunately, most of the photos Facebook chooses for memories are of him, so I'm constantly seeing pics of him when he was younger. They still make me a little sad.

Besarienposted 2 years agoin reply to this

18  years! I wish all dogs were bred for health and longevity first. Try to remember the good times when you look at photos but don't feel rushed to get over your loss. Mourning a great pet, especially one you've loved so long, takes time.

3. Jodah profile image90
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

The pet I miss most was a dog named "Rolley". He was a Marema (Russian Sheep dog) and only two years old when we received a phone call saying he had strangled himself on his chain.
    We were away at a wedding and he was attached to a chain on a runner while we were away as Maremas are notorious wanderers  (they are often used to protect livestock and other animals from predators).  We had friends going around to check on him and feed him, but unfortunately the chain became snagged on a branch and he went around and around making it tighter and tighter. He was a beautiful dog with a placid and playful nature, and even though we have three other dogs I still miss him four years later.

It must have been horrible to lose a pet that way. Only a good friend or a part of the family is still missed all these years later. Sounds like Rolley was both.

4. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12769315_f260.jpg

Dixie! I got Dixie at 6 weeks from some idiots who had burned her belly because she was pottying inside. They had locked her in a pin outside to where they couldn't even get in ti. They were just dumping food and water over the fencing. She was a lab/pit mix. I lost Dixie to a battle with cancer on July 15, 2013. She made it 13 years. I got her when I first came out of foster care. She was there for me through the birth of all of my children and welcomed them when they came home. She would lay beside them at night, and put up with them pulling and climbing on her during the day. She knew many, many words. She was also a protector. We knew that if anyone came near our home she would let us know, and she was trained to do something about it if I told her to. Prior to the birth of my children I spent several thousand dollars on extensive training for her. She never went through a destructive puppy stage and was potty trained within a week of coming home. She was amazing. I feel silly saying it but she was one of my children, my first child. I have 2 dogs now, 1 was raised with Dixie who is very similar in behavior and personality, but no dog will ever live up to Dixie. 2 years later and I still miss her. She was part of this family, and I hate my youngest child probably will not remember her.

I love that you gave a great home to Dixie. I also understand when you say she was one of the kids.  Rescued animals seem especially loving, grateful, and protective, too.

5. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

I missed my first cat, she was ran over by a motorbike in the dark, never had the chance to see her

So sorry to hear about your cat, peachy. Sometimes just sharing the story with other animal lovers makes you feel a little better, which is why I asked this question.

6. Say Yes To Life profile image80
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 2 years ago

We had a truly unique cat.  He looked solid black, but when the sun shown directly on him, you could see stripes.  He must be the only black tabby on record.  He had a diminutive high-pitched meow.  I named him Pleides, (I know that's the name of the constellation Seven Sisters, but he reminded me of that diminutive Little Dipper.  Actually, he did have four tiny white dots on his left shoulder.)  He got struck by a car.  I wish I'd thought to take pictures of him!

He sounds gorgeous. So sorry to hear about Pleides getting hit.  I hope he didn't suffer. Drivers need to slow down and watch out for kids, pets, and other precious living things.

7. lawrence01 profile image79
    lawrence01posted 2 years ago

For me it would be my dog 'Collie'. She was a Labrador Alsatian cross and birn with a broken tail, we never realized until she was about five months old. She lived to be eighteen and was riddled with cancer
    It was two days before Christmas when the vet told us the prognosis. I took her to the vets that day and it's one of the saddest Christmas's I've ever had, its thirty years ago now but I still think of Collie at times.

I hate to hear that Collie had to contend with cancer at the end. Still, 18 years is a great run for a mid-sized dog. She must have been a very lovely girl to stay in your heart for all these years.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)