jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why can't a person tickle themselves?

1. TheHoleStory profile image79
    TheHoleStoryposted 4 years ago

Why can't a person tickle themselves?

2. Ericdierker profile image52
    Ericdierkerposted 4 years ago

Wow! You can't? I tickle myself silly all day long.

3. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 4 years ago

The brain discriminates between sensory stimulations that are self-induced and those that are externally realized. That much has been empirically established as fact. The theory behind it is that the human nervous system has evolved to filter sensations less important to survival, e.g. routine ones originating from your own conscious acts, and those that may be critical, i.e. that you do not deliberately create.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

Well that isn't entirely true.  My feet are very ticklish and if I have to scratch a spot on the bottom of my foot, it is really difficult. But as far as most of being tickled, I think it is about lack of control. If someone tickles you, you have no control over where, or how hard, or when they will stop and that adds to the sensation, I think.

5. alancaster149 profile image85
    alancaster149posted 4 years ago

You've never met Ken Dodd, have you? 'How tickled I am!' is his most famous quotation, and his weapon of choice is his 'tickling stick' (a feather duster in the shape of a 'lollipop'). I daresay he spends his time between gigs laughing his head off (especially at the tax man, after he got away with pleading ignorance about certain factors in his finances)!
    I've tickled myself often enough, but your Hubs tickle me more.

working