jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

What is your worst memory regarding a friend or family member with alcoholism?

1. EJ Lambert profile image74
    EJ Lambertposted 4 years ago

What is your worst memory regarding a friend or family member with alcoholism?

A lot of people have had to deal with the tragic lifestyle of living with an alcoholic.  At least one way to better understand that pain is to share it with others who know the feeling.  So to your knowledge, what is your work alcoholic memory?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8026119_f260.jpg

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

So many from when I was a kid. The worst, which I can't do justice too in this space, was when my mother was experiencing hallucinations due to (I assume) the DT's. She was running through the house screaming that the neighbors were coming to cut off her head. She passed out and my father, also drunk started covering her with washcloths to keep her warm.  I was 6 or 7 and even then, I remember standing there, watching, thinking I was the only sane one in the family.

It was a lifetime ago and the picture is as clear as if it were yesterday. Needless to say, I have never been a drinker.

EJ Lambertposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It is amazing how irresponsible some people are despite knowing they have children around them.  I haven't understood it forever.  Like you, I have never had a drink in my life.

3. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

There were two friends of mine who suffered from alcoholism and usually sunk deeper. The worst of the two was in his late 30's but acted lower than a college student. Got black out drunk three nights a week, threw up every morning promptly at 8, visited bars and picked up "women" who were also drunk. In the morning he expected them to not have any regrets and considered them rude if they weren't bright and chipper after waking. The guy was basically bald, looked like he was pregnant, and treated women like trash. He expected his girlfriend to clean, always, because she was "the woman of the house".

EJ Lambertposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The tragic part of people like that is they somehow think what they're doing is "living the good life."  They can't understand that functional people in society use them as lessons for how NOT to behave like a decent human being.

2. lburmaster profile image83
      lburmasterposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I entirely agree. And unless something drastic happens, they may never understand that last sentence.

working