jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Is the height of a person genetic or environmental?

1. andrew savage profile image59
    andrew savageposted 4 years ago

Is the height of a person genetic or environmental?

2. Vlorsutes profile image84
    Vlorsutesposted 4 years ago

I'd say that it's actually a combination of both. Genetics will play a factor into how tall you're likely to grow, since your parents height is often a good indicator as to how tall the child may be, but your environment (such as your diet when growing up) will improve or stunt your growth.

3. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

Genetics would be the primary indicator of someone's height, but as Viorsutes points out, poor nutrition when growing up could also be a factor.

4. Gcrhoads64 profile image97
    Gcrhoads64posted 4 years ago

I would say both. I saw a show about a Vietnamese man who was adopted by Americans as a baby. As an adult he went back to Vietnam to meet his biological parents and he was at least 6 inches taller then his brothers and father. Maybe it was the higher protein diet?

1. WalterPoon profile image81
      WalterPoonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Gcrhoads64, I agree with you. I think it's the diet, rather than the environment, although being surrounded by tall people may make you subconsciously want to become as tall, and the body act accordingly. But there's a limit, due to genetic factors.

5. Diana Lee profile image84
    Diana Leeposted 4 years ago

I would say genetic.  My husband although he has shrunk a bit with age was 6' 8" when we married 39 years ago. Our children are not short, but never got near as tall as he did. My twenty one year old grandson is nearly as tall as my husband was at his age.

6. joanveronica profile image85
    joanveronicaposted 4 years ago

I would agree that it's a combination of both factors. Genetics is important as a base, you probably wouldn't get a tall descendent out of a family of midgets, for instance. But after that, nutrition takes a part. If the body is busy keeping itself alive, due to poor nutrition, it's not likely to grow and grow.

working