jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Why does scratching an itch makes it feel better?

1. Kevin Peter profile image71
    Kevin Peterposted 4 years ago

Why does scratching an itch makes it feel better?

There are different causes for itching- insects, dust particles, infections, allergies etc. But the same method is used to solve the problem. Why?

2. Marie Flint profile image92
    Marie Flintposted 4 years ago

Kevin, usually scratching causes more itching; however, there may be some relief due to the fact that many insect bites that itch do so because there is extra fluid buildup beneath the dermis (skin). Scratching stimulates capillary circulation at that area and helps initiate fluid flow and elimination. If there is no actual fluid buildup, then the itch is probably due to nerves, in which case there wouldn't be much advantage to scratching, unless it satisfies you psychologically, i.e. "I took action against this itch!" I find I can control the need to scratch by mentally acknowledging the stimulus and then forgetting about it--it's amazing how quickly the itch disappears!

3. Jlbowden profile image89
    Jlbowdenposted 4 years ago

Scratching the itch of poison ivy will definitely make the itch spread.  But also make it a heck of a lot more itchier!!  Hence scratching all itches, will not necessarily make you feel any better.

4. profile image0
    Awesome Bodyposted 4 years ago

Itch is kind of a incomplete sensation, you just complete it when you scratch and that's why you are satisfied.

1. janmodric profile image84
      janmodricposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Scratching causes pain (technically speaking); painful stimuli inhibit itchy stimuli, so this actually works short-term.

5. WalterPoon profile image78
    WalterPoonposted 4 years ago

Never thought of it before because every time I scratch an itch, it usually goes away.

working