Define "healthy" as it pertains to you personally.

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Laura Schneider profile image83
    Laura Schneiderposted 10 years ago

Define "healthy" as it pertains to you personally.

Do you consider yourself to be healthy, given the genes you were born with and the lifestyle you lead and your environment? (Regardless of outside information, such as what the doctor says.)

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8128718_f260.jpg

2. kj force profile image59
    kj forceposted 10 years ago

I consider myself  "healthy" even though I lost my ability to walk 5 years ago , and horrendous pain accompanied the disorder, after two years of MRI/Cat scans/  X-rays/Dopplers and extensive Lab work, Doctors could not find answers.They told me my chances of ever walking again were zero to none... however being in the Medical field for 38 years, instead of giving up I went on a quest to change diet and take charge of my life.Fruits and veggies, no processed food ever and everything in moderation. Excercising 2 hours everyday, morning and afternoons, I can now walk with a walker, in a swimming pool I am
    " normal " and I have NO pain...thanks to meditation/Yoga.
    I take no medications. So this is why I consider myself healthy. I feel alive again.
    Very interesting question.....

Laura Schneiderposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Very interesting and admirable answer,  kj force! You are, indeed, a force to be reckoned with. :-) I admire your dedication and hard work to improve your lot in life. I will honor that by going for a walk now and pondering your answer.

2. stanwshura profile image71
      stanwshuraposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations, kj!  Thst is quite some grit you have there.

3. stanwshura profile image71
    stanwshuraposted 10 years ago

OF course a healthy body is conducive to a happier, more active life.  For me, however, a healthy mind is paramount.   You can be the most physically fit specimen on the planet, but if you are or become depressed, it can be crippling.  Let alone what impact it can have on you, physically; if you are burdoned with mental illness, it controls your life, or stops you from living, really, altogether.

4. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years ago

I consider "healthy" to be a lifestyle that you choose that will give you some protection from illness and disease.  This means listening to your body, eating the right foods, avoiding the bad foods and avoiding risk as much as possible.  It is not a total answer to life, but it helps me to live better most of the time.

Laura Schneiderposted 10 years agoin reply to this

TimeTraveler2, you bring up a very good point that's rarely considered I think by some "healthy" people I know: "avoiding risk as much as possible." I know a lot of "healthy" people who take tons of risks. Good for you for staying safe! :-)

5. connorj profile image69
    connorjposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8129914_f260.jpg

Although I can participate in most every sport and I do play some (i.e. ice hockey) and I still can run (all be it with a wee-bit of joint pain) I would have to conclude that I am probably more unhealthy then healthy. I survived a comatose experience 10 years ago; yet they really have little idea why it happened.
    My genetic make up may indicate a life span that begins to end rather abruptly around 65. My father died of pancreatic cancer at 67 and my brother of a strong and less than 5% fat body (athletic his whole life) who just turned 65 is undergoing chemo for cancer. Now my mother lived to see her 90th birthday so I am hopeful that I am more of a "mama's boy..."

6. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 10 years ago

An interesting question Laura. I will attempt an answer of shortness. Most who know me know I practice in the answer section writing seeking less for more. With this answer I share I differ "Healthy" with "Well."  Some say synonymous, yet for me 'tis not.

I tend to lump healthy into the physical element within the six elements of wellness I prefer to follow. Sharing is I am not always a great follower said with a smile. I include mental with physical. I use as a guide the Six Dimensions of Wellness of the National Wellness Institute today. I use to use something from a Health / Wellness class from an excursion going back to finish a college degree around 2000 - 2003. They taught a 10 point system. Too many to remember today at my age said with a giggle with others, maybe.

Also, having a poetic mind at times, I like to think metaphorically and with allegorical views seeking compare and contrast for learning. Or, having been in the automotive field for a career lifestyle including the high performance industry allegorically I compare a healthy engine with a healthy body. Works for me.

The vehicle of a car, let's say is a family car, a performance cruiser, a high performance restored hot rod of nostalgia (hint, hint), or even a race car has systems, thus the six elements of wellness. A healthy engine to me means the engine or the actual mechanical portion, the air induction system, the exhaust or waste system, the fuel system, and of course the ignition or computer system today for the engine as a whole. Systems within the element of the physical.

Today's on-board computer for everyday cars since, say, the early 90's is probably ten times more sophisticated than the on-board computer of the Apollo Series capsules that went to the moon. For me, I ponder with this allegory the on-board computer system for physical wellness. Or, the brain as a healthy organ. The mind is different. A whole new subject. Just for interest, did you know a car actually kinda' does fly?

The National Wellness Institute considers emotional wellness as a different element. Again, the mind, well, as being healthy or not, with this allegory is not the physical, or the brain, nor is it the element of emotional wellness. Different altogether . . . ponder . . .

With the allegory, well, my engine is a little worn out. Genes are Levi's, environment is natural gardening, and lifestyle is changing today. Or, Restoration for this next year . . . Ponder the hint, hint . . .

Tim

7. ChitrangadaSharan profile image93
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 10 years ago

Interesting question and equally interesting answers!
    I consider myself healthy because I am cheerful, live life with a positive mind, want to learn like a child, even at this age when my children are old enough to have children.
    Needless to say this that I follow a healthy lifestyle, with healthy food, walks and yoga. And I do pray to keep myself mentally strong.

8. DDE profile image48
    DDEposted 10 years ago

I consider myself to be in  good health, energetic and always up for an active lifestyle, prevention is better than cure so I try my best to lead a different lifestyle the healthy one which keeps me fit always.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)