Why do some people with no athletic/fitness background consider themselves educa

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 5 years ago

Why do some people with no athletic/fitness background consider themselves educated in these areas?

The majority of overweight people are not in good health and while some overweight people may be currently or temporarily healthy, if their weight is not lost it will slowly negate their overall health. I know of an overweight man who insists that overweight people are healthy. He has never been athletic or fit, let alone studied human health, fitness, or biology yet he spouts this misinformation as do others in this same boat, online and off. What do these types of people get out of giving misinformation to others?

2. ChristinS profile image94
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

Perhaps it's a form of denial. I have known overweight people who insist they are healthy as can be, then in the same breath complain of aches, pains and ailments. Having lived on both sides of this coin, I can tell you that many, not all, but many overweight people face the same issues addicts face and display a lot of the same characteristics including denial, shifting blame, distorted self-image etc. It is not easy to be fit and healthy, but it is equally difficult to be overweight and out of shape and feel powerless to change it.  Sometimes, instead of stepping up and learning the proper way to eat/live properly it is just easier to make excuses or continue to turn a blind eye to the signs your body gives you. 

i would also state that some overweight people can be healthy for awhile - it will catch up with you eventually though. I am losing some weight again right now that slowly creeped back on over the past year.  I tend to be a stress eater - and having a son that was seriously injured, another son starting school, a business to run etc. I slipped back into some old habits - despite knowing better and knowing exactly what to do.  It's not always easy to "own" something we've done to sabotage ourselves wink so I try to not judge people too harshly.

Express10posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I ask this after a friend of a friend told an athletic trainer how to lose weight when said pro did not need to lose weight & the advice was unsolicited from someone who's very overweight, has no fitness/med. exp. I'd be insulted as was the pro.

3. Sean Evans profile image81
    Sean Evansposted 5 years ago

Well it comes down to who the people you are around and your lifestyle on what you deem as heavy according to many studies.   A good example for instance would be a person being 230 pound and 5'10 and hangs out with tennis players.  They may see his as unhealthy.  Now if the same person was around NFL Line backers he might be seen as light and needs to gain weight.

I do agree with you and believe there are many people who should really not give advice.  However we should tread carefully as to not judge based on peoples physical qualities but by the extent of a persons knowledge.

When it comes to health and fitness, I take in that person's fitness background, scientific, and medical training. A guy who has none gave unsolicited advice to an athletic trainer. I'm a figure skater & very active person, I'd be insulted.

4. AMAZING THINKER profile image60
    AMAZING THINKERposted 5 years ago

They do a lot of research for themselves, and think they know everything.
    It's not a joke! Half knowledge can be dangerous. We shouldn't be giving advice on topics which we have limited knowledge.

I witnessed an athletic trainer being told how to lose weight by an overweight person who has no medical, athletic/fitness, or scientific training...without the trainer ever asking. The trainer was ticked. That's just wrong and so was the advice!

5. definitions profile image61
    definitionsposted 5 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8284593_f260.jpg

I agree, it's a form of denial but in a broader sense, there are people who don't practice what they preach.  Sad but true.

That picture on this question with your answer is hilarious smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)