Do you have any alternatives to anxiety medications which are effective for you?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (21 posts)
  1. ThompsonPen profile image78
    ThompsonPenposted 5 years ago

Do you have any alternatives to anxiety medications which are effective for you?

I practice good diet about 60% of the time, I am poor at remembering supplements, and teas I'm better at remember this time of year, mainly as it's colder out and I enjoy a hot beverage. Within the past year I have developed a tendency to have anxiety attacks. It's not often, but I never have experienced them before now, and I don't want medications. What tips and tricks can I try?

2. Craan profile image67
    Craanposted 5 years ago

Thompson, you can try drinking Linden tea and finding time to relax and not work so hard. You are probably over doing something and need to take a break from it all. Another thing that helps is lots of sleep or a vacation, and Ignatia Amara, a holistic medicine that is sold in health-food stores.

ThompsonPenposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You're probably right, I am over doing something. I just don' know what. This year has been a relatively relaxing one work-wise. I'll certainly try the Ignatia Amara. Thank you for the tip!

3. Violet Flame profile image76
    Violet Flameposted 5 years ago

I am a full time fine arts student and that can get terribly stressful. When it gets bad I will take vitamin B complex and regular primrose oil (the later is for female mood regulation). But most importantly, I meditate every night before I go to bed and give my feet reflexology massage by stepping one foot at a time on a small stone with a round point on top (which I picked up from the side of the road from out walking one day). This is the only way to ensure a good quality sleep for me, so I will do it no matter how late it already is by the time I retire to my bedroom. Meditation is particularly helpful for anxiety attacks as it calms the mind, slows down and regulates the breathing. Aconite is a very mild homeotherapy remedy that also helps me when my anxiety level is too high. I used to pop a little Aconite tablets under my tongue when I started to hyperventilate because I needed to leave the house for a few days (when I was still a flight attendant) and there was simply too much to be done. I hope you find what works for you and many blessings xoxo

Thank you for your input! Actually, a lot of my anxiety comes from flying. It is not my favorite thing. I'm going to be flying to Egypt in about three weeks time. Do you have any tips gained from being a flight attendant?

2. Violet Flame profile image76
      Violet Flameposted 5 years agoin reply to this

If your anxiety comes from fear of flying, how about contemplating the fact that we are more likely to get involved in a car accident then on an airplane? I've probably done a thousand flights with no incident  (but i smashed my car twice lol)

3. ThompsonPen profile image78

I've tried that one. It's a phobia. I know all the statistics, I know how it all works, I've been to Boeing to see how they make it all - none of it worked sad once I'm in the air, I'm alright for the most part, but it's take-offs that get me every ti

4. Violet Flame profile image76

in that case, i think you probably need to talk to a natural pracitioner for some natural tranquilizer if the fear is intense. I've seen how horrified people could become once they step on the plane. I also wonder if hypnosis might work on that?

5. ThompsonPen profile image78

I'm getting to that point I think. I've tried natural tranquilizers but they weren't as effective as I had hoped, but they relaxed me in every other aspect of life! smile

4. watergeek profile image97
    watergeekposted 5 years ago

Meditation. It's always works for me. Even in my most intense anxiety moments, like when something was going on at work that affected me and everyone denied it (but it was later proven to be true), meditation still always calmed/calms me down. Often I get answers to questions or solutions to problems through meditation as well. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

1. Violet Flame profile image76

I'm totally with you on that one! ^^

2. Randy M. profile image85
      Randy M.posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Probably the best suggestion.

5. CrescentSkies profile image88
    CrescentSkiesposted 5 years ago

I chew a bit of st. john's wart every now and then. I like the taste and it helps kill mild bouts of anxiety...but that's probably not gonna help :x

it might! I"ll give it a whirl!

6. profile image0
    bobbyandbeansposted 5 years ago

Cut out caffeine, sugar, white flour, and processed foods.  Meditation, yoga, and a mantra such as "I am relaxed" are all good.  Regular, challenging exercise releases endorphins which help you to be calm and relaxed.

7. artist101 profile image66
    artist101posted 5 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7167859_f260.jpg

Cutting back on caffiene is a good first step. Among the many herbals, and supplements for anxiety are: Kava Kava, Valerian, and hops. I found no benefit from any of these. St Johns wart is also recommended by many, again no benefit.
    My regime included a good multi vitamin, b complex, trytophan, and Gaba. Tryto phan, and gaba, are two Amino acids that are naturally found in high protein food. So, if you are a vegan, or a vegetarin, a good amino acid complex may also be an alternative.
    But, setting that aside. There are many physical ailments that can cause anxiety. Among them are: hormone imbalances such as estrogen, and thyroid. High or low insulin levels, that occur in diabetes, and hypoglycemia. Other reasons can include: cancer, infection,such as lymes disease, meningitis, lupus, cfs, and many others.
    A physical, and simple blood tests, based on anxiety, and other symptoms, to rule out an underlying health problem,  is my best advice. At least from that standpoint, you will know the direction to take. Treating only the symptoms is not advisable to anyone, especially since this just started for you. My instincts tell me there is a physical reason, since you only recently developed the panic attacks. 
    My Articles cover and recommend natural supplements, after you know the cause. http://artist101.hubpages.com

8. connorj profile image79
    connorjposted 5 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7368700_f260.jpg

I know this will be easy to discount and simply ignore; however, I must say it.
    Well quite simply, you must "embrace" God; that is become closer to Him. This is the best, easiest, and least expensive method to end your anxiety attacks and develop a significant peacefulness in your extremely busy world of travel and multiple endeavours.
    Sincerely,
    John

1. artist101 profile image66
      artist101posted 5 years agoin reply to this

wow, what a great photograph

9. lanablackmoor profile image90
    lanablackmoorposted 5 years ago

I take anxiety medication, but I try to also incorporate diet, light exercise like walking and yoga, and other calming activities into my daily maintenance plan as well. Having pets is probably the most therapeutic alternative to medication for me. There's just something about their presence that seems to drain the anxiety right out of you.

I take a melatonin supplement too that greatly helps me sleep and reduces nighttime anxiety. Since my anxiety is at its worst at night it works for me, but I wouldn't recommend taking it during the day.

I'll also second Craan's suggestion of tea! Nothing like a nice, warm cup to soothe the nerves after a crazy day. Cliche, but it does the trick.

10. visionandfocus profile image69
    visionandfocusposted 5 years ago

EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) not only got rid of my free-floating anxiety that was stopping me from sleeping well at night, it got rid of my life-long nightmares as well. It's a form self-applied acupressure (i.e. acupuncture without the needles) that uses fingertip tapping on a series of acupoints along the energy meridians of our bodies. Very simple to learn and works like a charm.

11. Sheila Wilson profile image83
    Sheila Wilsonposted 5 years ago

Anti-anxiety medications are addictive and can cause side effects. Here are some tips about how to overcome anxiety without medication. I've used these activities to stop anxiety. read more

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)