jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Should it be legal to purchase raw milk if you want it?

1. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

Should it be legal to purchase raw milk if you want it?

In my state it is against the law to purchase raw milk or daily products. When practiced safely, raw dairy is not a risk if the cows are disease free and clean. If people are allowed to risk their health eating rare meats? Why then, can we not purchase raw dairy products in many states? Should it be allowed? why or why not?

2. abetterwaytolive profile image81
    abetterwaytoliveposted 4 years ago

I don't see why it should be illegal to purchase anything that grows or is acquired naturally from things God put on this earth.

3. John Parks profile image70
    John Parksposted 4 years ago

Raw milk is as safe as the conditions it is produced under.  Grass fed cows that live in pastures produce naturally pathogen resistant and healthy milk.  Cows that live in manure filled pens and are fed starchy grains will produce low quality milk that will carry pathogens.  Raw milk should be heavily regulated and legally sold.  Pasteurized milk for the same reasons listed above makes many people sick.

4. agusfanani profile image80
    agusfananiposted 4 years ago

I didn't know that raw milk is illegal to purchase but it's fine in my country. Although I've never tried it, I even saw people drink milk right after being collected from a cow breast. The reason why it happens because people, specially in villages and remote areas will have more risk in malnutrition if they don't drink milk than the disease might be contained  in it, not to mention  processed or packaged milk is considered expensive and only city people  can afford it.

5. Borsia profile image43
    Borsiaposted 4 years ago

Pasteurization of milk became the law long ago when refrigeration was rare and milk was being transported and stored on its way from the farm to consumer, who then might keep it longer.
    Milk is an excellent medium for the growth of microbes and pathogens and contamination was common.
    Even today if you do get raw milk the safe shelf life is very short.
    My personal belief is that it is your chance to take of you want to take it and laws shouldn't prevent you.
    Part of the problem is that raw milk farms would need far more regulation and inspection to meet FDA standards and there is no money to fund it.
    I feel the same way about most drugs and suicide. It's your body and you should be making the decisions.

working