jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Where to vegans get their protein?

1. dappledesigns profile image90
    dappledesignsposted 4 years ago

Where to vegans get their protein?

2. Act 3 profile image93
    Act 3posted 4 years ago

Grains, beans/legumes, tofu and other soy products, nuts. Lots of vegetables have some amount of protein. Even avocados and coconuts have protein. Many Americans have more protein in their diet than needed. As long as you are eating a wide range of food, it usually is not a problem.

3. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 4 years ago

Adding to what Act 3 said: spinach, bananas, almonds, corn, buckwheat (which I'm told isn't actually wheat), nutritional yeast flakes, potatoes, chick peas, quinoa and oatmeal, just off the top of my head. (Though, admittedly, there is some overlap). The point is that protein can be found in a lot of things, so it's very much a myth that vegans don't get enough. While it is true that not all vegan proteins are complete proteins (like meat), there are more than enough sources of complete proteins in plants (soy and quinoa are two of them).

4. lisavollrath profile image97
    lisavollrathposted 3 years ago

The idea that we must eat meat to get enough protein in our diet is false. There's protein in everything we eat. The key is to combine foods, to get the full range of amino acids. I like to combine beans and rice, which creates a nice complex protein.