jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Is quinoa a good meat substitute?

1. prettynutjob30 profile image92
    prettynutjob30posted 2 years ago

Is quinoa a good meat substitute?

I eat meat but every now and then I substitute with other forms of protein. Is quinoa a good replacement?

2. Snakesmum profile image81
    Snakesmumposted 2 years ago

Quinoa is considered to be a good protein source for vegans, who do not eat meat, so I would think the answer to this would be "Yes"

3. M. T. Dremer profile image96
    M. T. Dremerposted 2 years ago

There are certain kinds of proteins called 'complete' proteins. I'm not sure what the exact definition is, but I think the general idea is that it gives your body the kind of protein it requires. Quinoa is one of them, as are soy and buckwheat. There are others, but I'm drawing a blank. But, in answer to your question, yes quinoa is a great replacement for meat.

4. BlossomSB profile image92
    BlossomSBposted 2 years ago

I'm not really answering this question, but I'm interested in the replies. I've recently bought some quinoa, and thought I'd use it as a substitute for rice. As it has so much protein, does that mean that I shouldn't eat meat or eggs at the same time if I want a balanced meal?

1. M. T. Dremer profile image96
      M. T. Dremerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

It might be protein overkill to pair it with meat/eggs. A better replacement for rice could be couscous.