Why do problems always seem greater in the middle of the night?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Electro-Denizen profile image80
    Electro-Denizenposted 10 years ago

Why do problems always seem greater in the middle of the night?

Is there some physiological condition behind this mind frame that occurs in the middle of the night? e.g. low blood sugar level. Or some more esoteric reason? Or is it because psychological defenses are low? The mind is clearly churning through the possibilities and trying to get at answers, but it doesn't always seem useful. For example - many people feel the terror of their own mortality in the middle of the night, more than at any other time. Why?

2. Author Cheryl profile image81
    Author Cherylposted 10 years ago

Once the day is done and you have time to think, I think your mind goes ramped on the what ifs.  Most people that are mentally challenged people often have issues at night time as with old people with dementia it is called sun downing.  I think that we all have that issue at night because it gives our mind too much time to think and not enough stimulation like we have in the day time.

3. btrbell profile image86
    btrbellposted 10 years ago

At night, you are alone with your thoughts. For, possibly, the first time all day, your body is at rest. This gives free rein to your mind! Now is the time to rerun, replay and rehash previous events and conversations. Now is the time to anticipate, both positively and negatively, what comes next. In my opinion, the "things that go bump in the night" are usually my thoughts.

4. suzettenaples profile image88
    suzettenaplesposted 10 years ago

Because it is dark!  LOL  I think in the morning, with a little light on the subject, things don't look so badly.  I think the dark midnight, which is that foreboding hour anyway,  and as you say probably psychological and physiological changes in the body that affect how we feel.  Also, with dreaming, the sub-conscious enters the picture and sometimes can affect the situation also. 

Light affects the brain and melatonin in the body and can change a perspective and body chemistry.  That's  my take on your question!

5. SAM ELDER profile image56
    SAM ELDERposted 10 years ago

Because during the night your brain is programmed to rest and everything that you have to face in darkness looks more dramatic.

6. sandrabusby profile image73
    sandrabusbyposted 10 years ago

Because your ego strength is lowered, I believe.

7. profile image0
    lesliebyarsposted 10 years ago

I think that problems seem overwhelming at night because maybe at that exact moment, you are in a restless, vulnerable state.  Feeling like you aren't able to do anything about your problems at night would be reason enough to panic.  Maybe it's something that can't be dealt with until then next day and there's really no solution at a particular time of night and all you can do is worry.  Instead of worrying try to think about different scenarios and the outcomes.  Maybe this will help in solving the problem and the next day won't be as bad.

8. Lucildoll profile image63
    Lucildollposted 10 years ago

At the end of a day there is less human activity the human mind tends to become more relaxed as it is supposed to be, unless due to our lifestyle programs. Night seems to be accompanied with certain fears and terror. More evil seems to dominate the atmosphere in the dark and at midnight which only the Supernatural can subdue. Suffering and pain are not good so their powers are increased in the dark of night.

9. Silva Hayes profile image77
    Silva Hayesposted 10 years ago

As you lie in bed in the middle of the night, all the normal daytime stimulation is absent.  Light, noise, interruptions, hunger, thirst, all the daytime activities, cease.  You are left alone with your thoughts.  If you have worries, they circle around you like wild animals circle a campfire. 

If you are worried about your mortality, this is when that worry is magnified.  You feel that, when you relax and let sleep take over, you lose control of the situation and death can steal upon you in your sleep.  The older you are, the more valid this fear becomes.

10. Ericdierker profile image46
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

For me it is the emptying of good thoughts. If I meditate a bit before I sleep and fill me up with love and good thoughts there are no night boogie men. But if I do not after about 6 hours there is turmoil. That ego I rely on during the day is resting. And there I am left alone on my own. I breathe deeply and focus on the good and the turmoil is gone.
    Easier said than done. So sometimes I need to work through an issue. It seems sometimes it is the only time that I am not too busy to let fear interrupt me.
    Perhaps we should not avoid the issues at all and just go with it. At fifty six I can honestly say that nothing bad has ever happened during that time.

11. my_girl_sara profile image76
    my_girl_saraposted 10 years ago

Have you ever heard of the witching hour? It's the time between midnight and 3 a.m. when demonic activity is said to be the highest. If I'm awakened in a state of unrest between those times, it's always from a demonic spiritual attack. I simply rebuke the spirit out loud in the name of Jesus, roll over and go back to bed. Problem solved.

12. cat on a soapbox profile image94
    cat on a soapboxposted 10 years ago

Added to our focus on problems at night when we have fewer distractions can be an inherent fear of the dark and the claustrophobia it brings. There is also the isolation one feels in dealing with tough issues. They sometimes come down upon us like an avalanche, yet we are alone or choose not to wake a partner. Once anxiety starts,  the breathing and heartbeat increase, and we begin to sweat in response to a perceived fear. Combined with dehydration, salt intake from dinner, or  blood sugar levels you mentioned, it can be enough for us to think we are having a heart attack and may die alone. Some of us fear the repeated cycles of insomnia and fatigue and panic over our loss of control over them.
    It is helpful to recognize the onset of panic attacks and to tell yourself that you are going to be okay, it's only your body's natural reaction to a PERCEIVED fear.  I also find writing in a journal to be helpful when I am overwhelmed. My habit of taking a hot bath,reading devotionals and praying before bed helps me relax and sleep soundly.

13. caseymel profile image90
    caseymelposted 10 years ago

Because you have time to think of them then.

14. rudra007 profile image83
    rudra007posted 10 years ago

We are not very busy during the night as we are during the day , with me problems seems to be greater whenever i am free from any work whether it is day or night.

15. jennshealthstore profile image82
    jennshealthstoreposted 10 years ago

I agree with a lot of these answers. You are busy all day long. You have other things that consume your mind. Once you are home and relaxing you have time to think. But this could be a good thing. When you have time to think about your problems, then you will be able to try to find resolutions to them. I am sure all of these thoughts are there all day long, we kind of just push them away until other things are out of the way. Use this time to address these issues and concerns.

16. Electro-Denizen profile image80
    Electro-Denizenposted 10 years ago

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Seems most think worries etc come to the fore because all the distractions of the day are over, but all these things are there just beneath the surface. It could be. But neither do I put it beyond the 'witching hour' and the darkness of the night as 2 or 3 have mentioned, to get really spooked by things i.e. exaggerate small worries. In all cases, saying ones prayers or thinking positive thoughts have to be a good thing i.e. preparing for sleep properly, so thanks for those positive ideas. It's an area of the mind I've always found fascinating, sleeptime etc.

17. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 10 years ago

my dad wakes up in the middle of wee morning 3am just to take his blood pressure reading. He gets panicky all time. My mom wakes up 3x just to pee and couldn't get back to sleep. My hubby couldn't sleep if his body aches in the middle of the night. I guess people have more problems in the middle of the night than day time.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)