jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is losing 30 pounds in 30 days really unhealthy or is it a maintenance issue?

1. ladynichols profile image61
    ladynicholsposted 4 years ago

Is losing 30 pounds in 30 days really unhealthy or is it a maintenance issue?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8663509_f260.jpg

2. cathylynn99 profile image77
    cathylynn99posted 4 years ago

healthy weight loss is one to two pounds per week. people can lose more quickly if they're on a doctor supervised diet with blood tests to make sure they don't get low potassium and sudden death, for example. 30# in 30 days would require eating almost nothing and exercising non-stop. okay for the biggest loser. not healthy or practical for the average dieter.

3. ChristinS profile image97
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

I agree with cathylynn99 I would also add that rapid weight loss also tends to result in yo-yo dieting and rapid weight gain once you start to eat normally again.  You will most likely put your body into conservation mode and lower your metabolism - not something you want to do.  Then, when you eat a higher number of calories again the weight will pile on and be even harder to lose.  It is safest and healthiest to lose at a moderate pace and make healthy, long lasting lifestyle changes.

4. chef-de-jour profile image95
    chef-de-jourposted 4 years ago

Crash diets and quick fix regimes nearly always fail because the body just does not react in a natural positive fashion. Your metabolism will be messed up which could result in a crave mode developing, where you have to go to extremes to keep the calories up. This is not the way.

It's much safer to go at a steady pace, building up confidence and keeping stable. Losing weight naturally in a stress free fashion is best. Reduce portions first, stick to what you're used to initially, get into exercise gradually THEN you can think about slight changes to carbs and fat intake. When you're ready increase exercise and re-adjust your diet and in time you'll succeed in losing weight for good. I have a hub on breakfast ideas that may be of help.

The only people who need to lose weight super fast are boxers when they're a few pounds overweight and other sporty types. But these people are usually trained athletes with professional dieticians around to advise..

working