jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is it possible to lose 2 inches off the waist without losing any pounds or from

1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

Is it possible to lose 2 inches off the waist without losing any pounds or from other areas?

I only want to lose about 2 inches off my waist however I do not want to lose any weight or inches from other areas. Having children has done great things for my body and I don't want to ruin it.I just need to touch up my mid section for beach season. Is this possible? If so what is the most effective way?

2. Billy Hicks profile image85
    Billy Hicksposted 5 years ago

"Possible", yes. "Probable", no. Contrary to popular belief, you can't "spot, lose" weight. Where your body stores fat is a genetic issue (I'm not going to get into the actual chemistry of it here).

If your body is genetically predisposed to activate stored fat from your midsection "first", then you'd be in luck, but that's not something you can choose. Anyone who tells you otherwise is more than likely going to try to sell you something.

3. fitmom profile image84
    fitmomposted 5 years ago

It's not always the case that you will lose weight when you change your shape (lose inches). It really depends on what your fat percentage is, what type of activity you do, how your body stores fat, the types of foods you eat, etc.

You'd probably need to meet with a trainer or health coach who could take your measurements and design the best plan for you.

4. Thrifty Lady profile image91
    Thrifty Ladyposted 5 years ago

I agree with Billy Hicks that you cannot "spot lose" weight.  That being said, where you lose weight first depends on your body type.  I always lose weight in my waist first and find it extremely difficult to lose weight in my hips and thighs.  If you are looking to tone for beach season, I would recommend doing ab exercises.  Be sure to work the top, bottom, and sides of your abs.

working