jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

What do you think could be the causes of rising worldwide obesity levels?

1. raymondphilippe profile image82
    raymondphilippeposted 4 years ago

What do you think could be the causes of rising worldwide obesity levels?

2. luvtoowrite profile image43
    luvtoowriteposted 4 years ago

Food ads on television, E.g.  McDonalds, Burger King, Hardees, ect. Eating everything in sight during the holidays, birthdays, not to mention Valentines Day Chocolate.

raymondphilippeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

That certainly resonates with me ;-)

3. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

I think there are two reasons. 1) People are living at a fast pace and the convenience of fast food and snack machines mean they can grab it and go instead of cooking something which is better for them. 2) Children aren't learning about healthy eating because they're parents fall under the first reason I listed, the parents don't cook healthy meals even when they do cook, or they spoil their kids by not saying "no" to the junk food.

Thanks for sharing your view. Appreciated

4. M. T. Dremer profile image96
    M. T. Dremerposted 4 years ago

The proliferation of fast food and boxed food is mostly to blame. They advertise to children, getting them hooked early so these foods feel 'normal' and 'comfortable'. I grew up with McDonalds and Burger King, which means I regard the flavor as 'nostalgic'. I miss how they tasted. I'm a vegetarian now, but they left such a strong impression on me that I don't think I'll ever forget how they tasted (or ever fully get over the cravings). Junk food is the tobacco battle of this generation. Products that are this harmful to the human body should not be marketed to anyone, least of all children.

Certainly agree with you.

5. Dr Pran Rangan profile image89
    Dr Pran Ranganposted 4 years ago

Eating fast food which is laden with hydrogenated fat and salt or sugar is a very important reason for rising worldwide obesity. Eating fast food also provides comfort and solace to the person who consumes it so that person consumes it more. It, therefore, becomes a vicious cycle. Studies have shown that home cooked food contributes to less calorie consumption.

Another important reason is stress in our day to day life that seems to be ever increasing without cessation. Stress also makes a person to reach for some fast food as it gives instant comfort in a stressful situation. One is liable to overeat fast food in such a situations.

Physical inactivity is also another important reason for rising obesity. Our much dependence on mechanical and electronic gadgets for our routine chores has made us physically quite inactive. Many studies have indicated that a person can consume about 300 to 350 calories by personally doing most of the household chores. Loss of 300 to 350 calories a day will help one in weight reduction and make one more fit. So, we should not lose an opportunity to become physically active.

Thanks for sharing your view

6. DDE profile image26
    DDEposted 4 years ago

Junk foods like  all fast foods and fatty foods   doughnuts, cakes, rich foods are the causes of obesity people still don't know how to eat healthily in this time of the century is so sad.

Thanks for sharing your answr

working