How effective is Self Hypnosis? Did it work for you?

1. perfumer profile image75
    perfumerposted 3 years ago

How effective is Self Hypnosis? Did it work for you?

I would like to know about your personal experience with self hypnosis.

2. Sri T profile image80
    Sri Tposted 3 years ago

The goal is to get a conditioned reflex. So first there is the trance. Today there are many ways to go into trance. Once there, it is important to give a post-hypnotic suggestion to change the behavior. It is only effective if the post-hypnotic suggestion is accepted. Repetition is the best way to get it accepted. Sometimes changes are slower or adjustments have to be made in order to get the suggestion accepted. One powerful way that Ormond Mcgill taught was to 'pretend' that it is already working. Andrew Salter used forty repetitions of the same signal in some cases to make sure the mind accepted it. With Pavlov's dog, you don't have to ring the bell 40 times while offering a dog a piece of meat to get him to salivate. The reflex kicks in much quicker than that. But some humans have set up a resistance. You have to get past the resistance or the trauma if that is the case.

3. mikejhca profile image91
    mikejhcaposted 3 years ago

How effective self hypnosis is depends on you. It did not work for me but I am thinking of trying it again. A hypnotist tried to hypnotize me when I was in university and it did not work either. Personally I seem to be better at meditation. I am good at the relaxation part of hypnosis and guided meditation but I have trouble with the other suggestions.

I highly recommend trying meditation or self hypnosis so you learn how to become deeply relaxed. Like most things it takes practice.

working