jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is it when I feel like im bei ng held down in my sleep and cant talk or mov

1. Larry Parkin profile image57
    Larry Parkinposted 3 years ago

What is it when I feel like im bei ng held down in my sleep and cant talk or move?

2. profile image0
    Lybrahposted 3 years ago

That's a scary feeling.  That's happened to me before.  Twice.

3. profile image0
    Dave36posted 3 years ago

Probably sleep paralysis buddy which iv'e had for years, & when i used to get them they would come with a terrifying feeling..Also when i used to get them i wouldn't be able to breathe at the time, & would struggle to get my breath..I know for a fact i get them before i fall to sleep, & as i drift off to sleep..Iv'e been told it's just our brain switching off our ability to move, before we have actually fallen asleep..Our brain switches our ability to move off when we do fall asleep in case we dream, so as we're not thrashing about in our sleep..Iv'e always been laid on my back when i ever did get an attack, so started to sleep on my side..All i can say is iv'e had many in the the past & although all of them we're very scary, "nothing" bad has ever happened to me apart from the fear of dread when it does happen..In fact it made me look into my mind & how it works, & i started doing a lot of mindful meditating & haven't had an attack since.

4. Amanda108 profile image93
    Amanda108posted 3 years ago

It's sleep paralysis. I've had some mild cases of it upon waking. My 'tricks' to getting out of it are:

1) Breath nice and steady, deep breaths. You *can* physically still breathe even if it doesn't feel like it, so forcing yourself to remember that and to slow your heartbeat can help.

2) I know you can't move, but focusing really hard on trying to jerk my body will help. You don't actually have to move anything and I don't recommend trying too hard to do so. It's liable to scare you when you can't. Instead just imagine your whole body jerking upwards a few times. Usually this forces my eyes open and my body awake with a sudden rush.

working