Ever been so low on energy that you couldn't even talk?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (14 posts)
  1. profile image0
    nazishnasimposted 14 years ago

Have you ever been so low on energy that even when you wanted to talk you couldn't? Just like your brain refused to think of thoughts and you just look at the person you are conversing with and feel like an .... well idiot!
    This may include low energy due to lack of motivation in office ... or because you are way too tired ... or way too sad.... just anything. So, has it ever happened to you? If yes, then what is your experience with it and how you get over the condition? Also, any idea about its causes?

1. profile image48
      badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, usually depression and a total lack of interest. I find a long walk with my ipod works, deff exercise and good music make me feel better. As for the causes, stress I guess !

2. alekhouse profile image70
      alekhouseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like depression to me.

3. Ivorwen profile image64
      Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, several times when I was pregnant or had a small baby, this happened.  Most of the time it happened because I was sleep deprived and stressed.  My naturopathic doctor suggested less caffeine and more sleep.  It worked, and the stressed out feeling went away.  smile

The other times it has happened, the problem was a hormone imbalance of one sort or another.  I remember one time in particular, when my body kept threatening to miscarry.  The problem was related to blood clots caused by hormones. I felt totally 'blond', because I could hardly carry on a conversation about even the simplest things.

2. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Yes I have. At the time I thought I was just your average mummy. Two kids, a year apart, running round, working, a house to run and so on.

Turned out I was ill. Which was great. It meant it wasn't me. T'was some other thing. big_smile

3. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

Sounds lie a couple symptoms of depression.  Maybe you should go talk to a pro. Sometimes depression is brought on chemically by lack of nutrition, or even too much of a certain chemical.  Have you changed you diet/eating habbits, rest/exercise habbits? These are things a pro will ask you.

4. brad4l profile image72
    brad4lposted 14 years ago

Never been so low that I couldn't talk, but I have been dead tired after doing manual labor all day and not eating right.

5. Lady_E profile image63
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

Yeah, that's happened to me before to the point that if you talked to me I'd burst into tears or my eyes would go watery.
    Even if you just said  "hi". It would set me off.

I got over it by just hanging around my friends who cheered me up, took me out etc.  Also, listened to a lot of motivational tapes or Joel Osteen. That lifts my spirits. Hayhouse Radio also helped. Its an inspirational Radio Station.

Being so Low is not a nice place to be but when others are going through it, you can identify with them and you know how to lift them up.

6. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

This can also be a sign of Burn Out; which is usually as a result of overwork, poor sleep, poor diet & generally running yourself down.  It is really common when you work in high performance roles where you also run on a fuel mixed with adrenelin.  Eg You Stop-You Drop. This has happened to me on numerous occassions because of the high workloads I tend to take on.  You Must take Time Out & realise that its in your own hands to be well or unwell.  Start eating properly and regularly, get your bloods checked and restored to normal, go fishing or something equally relaxing that will help you sleep a full nights sleep. Cut back on the coffees etc.

The biggest problem you have with Burn Out is that you tend to deny that this sort of thing can happen to you.

Alternatively, you may be suffering a mild symptom of depression. If you are depressed; you will be lathegic over everything you do and your body will not want to do anything but rest.  But you will know yourself if your outlook is one of depresssion.

7. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

It sounds like a depressive episode. Depression can be very serious--it isn't always--but it can be. You really should talk to you doctor. I used to have crippling depression that would leave me immobile at times. After years of bouncing around I was put on antidepressants and within a week I felt like a different person--not drugged, just like myself again.

I agree with Pearldiver though too--I've worked two of those kinds of jobs and I read your hub about your job. It's good to be tough, but sometimes it's ok to admit you need to take care of yourself and get out of the line of fire. That doesn't make you a failure, it makes you smart enough to get out of a toxic situation that is harming you.

Good luck. I hope you feel better soon.

8. HealthCare Basics profile image58
    HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years ago

I too agree on "burn-out". I just read your hub about your job experience and how can you not be experiencing stress, isolation, and burn-out. The good thing is that you know what your feeling and now can do something to get out of the funk feeling. My mother has Alzhiemers and lives with me, my choice, but there are times between holding down the job, racing home to care for her that I am at wits with myself. I have found long walks to be best for me. I call it aroma strolling therapy by walking the trails of the park and taking in the smell of the forest. Brisk walking to the point of getting a good workout bumps up the adrenalin and endorphines to feel good again. Hang in there for the next month and leave them with the impression they just lost a hard working valuable person. smile

9. Jen's Solitude profile image86
    Jen's Solitudeposted 14 years ago

Yes I suffer from this quite frequently. Mine is tied in with Multiple Sclerosis exhaustion, however. I have to stay to myself and get a lot of rest before it lifts. Like Bad Company, I use music to chill-lax (to borrow a phrase from Bernie Mack.)

I don't usually chose to talk on the phone, as I am just too tired to hold a normal conversation. My friends all know when I'm on the mend because I pick up and shock them that they don't have to leave a message on my answer machine. big_smile

Are you feeling depressed or stressed out as others have mentioned? Are you overworked? If not you might want to get a physical and tell your doctor about your symptom. He can probably better assess if it is depression or something else.

I hope you feel better soon!
    ~Jen

10. Laughing Mom profile image60
    Laughing Momposted 14 years ago

Some people wish this would happen to me, and often I wish of would happen to hubby.

11. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Yes.  It happens to me when I go all day working, not eating very much (if at all), or eating not-so-good things.  Sugar is a killer.  You 'may' find yourself temporarily energized eating sugary or junky items, but then you hit a complete wall energy-wise and may find yourself worse off than before (hard to think, hard to talk). 

I find drinking fresh water and V-8 juice (not many fruit juices--also too much sugar) really picks the energy level up, as does getting outside in the sun for at least 15 minutes per day and walking (vitamin D).  Additional exercise outside the work day also helps... Exercise, according to what I've read, and by what I can attest to personally, helps as much as anything else to relieve depression.  Anxiety/stress, it goes without saying.  Exercise is a kind of stress--but a good stress.  Physiologically speaking, I think it revs your metabolism so that it works more efficiently--supplying more blood/oxygen to the brain and other organs--also increasing endorphin levels, which relieves depression/anxiety naturally.  We were not meant to be office slugs sitting in a chair all day long!

I also recommend frequent travel vacations, wink, if you can.  Nothing puts perspective on the same old/same old & petty office politics than experiencing another place.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)