This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)

Why do aging males tend to develop hairy ears while aging females don't?

1. bethperry profile image92
    bethperryposted 4 years ago

Why do aging males tend to develop hairy ears while aging females don't?

My granddaddy and father-in-law both developed rather hairy ears as they aged, and I have heard other people say this is common in elderly men. But I've not really seen it in aging women. What causes this kind of hair growth in males?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8966415_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    swilliamsposted 4 years ago

Oh my... Did you take this picture Beth? How did you manage to get so close? Did he notice that you were taking a picture of his hairy eardrum? Or did you sneak up on him?

bethperryposted 4 years agoin reply to this

A friend forwarded it to me; I believe it is either his granddad or uncle. Not sure which!

3. The Examiner-1 profile image74
    The Examiner-1posted 4 years ago

Probably for the same reason that males grow beards, mustaches, etc. - and women do not.

As Nature is often not so easily understood, you are probably right!

2. The Examiner-1 profile image74
      The Examiner-1posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Beth.

4. parrster profile image85
    parrsterposted 4 years ago

Only happens to men who get nagged a lot. Perpetual nagging triggers a male latent ear hair gene designed to muffle the threatening noise
    smile

parrster! shame, shame smile

5. IDONO profile image82
    IDONOposted 4 years ago

Since it is a known fact that women talk about 3 times more than men, I think God gave men ear hair to filter out all the jibberish after many years of marriage. I know some men that actually braid it because their wives discovered cell phones.

IDONO, shame, shame! lol

2. IDONO profile image82
      IDONOposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Couldn't help myself. Sorry.

6. Anti-Valentine profile image94
    Anti-Valentineposted 4 years ago

Reminds me of a quote: "Baldness is God's way of reminding you that you're human. He takes the hair from your head and sticks it in your ears."

So if they are thinning on top, that explains it.

That's cute!

7. profile image0
    Dave36posted 4 years ago

They studied this & found it was actually evolution in action, & men we're evolving natural ear plugs to lesson their wife's moaning etc....I bet your Grand dad & Father in law both couldn't get a word in, & so the ear growth took over as a defense mechanism!lol

Maybe my FIL sometimes, but my Grandad had no problem there at all. Grandmother was a very soft-spoken and rather quiet lady.

working