How long did it take you to quit smoking? How many times did you try? Which way

1. mcbel profile image76
    mcbelposted 3 years ago

How long did it take you to quit smoking? How many times did you try? Which way stuck?

I quit two weeks ago, and it's the longest I've gone since I started two years ago. Once I got up to a pack a day, I realized it had gone too far, but it still took me another year to get off the damn things. The patch, the gum, the lozenges.... none of it worked. What worked for me was the realization of what would happen if I never quit. A friend who graduated college this past spring had quit and been clean for three months. When I saw her last weekend, she was carrying a bottle of Jose Cuervo and a pack of reds tucked in her cleavage. That sort of showed me how little I need nicotine...

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image97
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 3 years ago

I vape.  I've been doing the vape thing for over a year.  I don't cough in the mornings, and I can be a long damned ways down the road on a bicycle in 20 minutes or so....not the slightest bit short of breath.

3. Diana Lee profile image85
    Diana Leeposted 3 years ago

I quit Sept. 18, 2012.  I wish I had done it years ago.  I used Chantix. It brain washes you into not wanting to smoke. It also gives you weird dreams and/or sleepless nights.  But it works. Five weeks on the program was plenty long for me. The recommended time is twelve weeks. Another downfall is mood swings, but the withdrawal from quitting could cause it as well as the Chantix.
    You really must want to quit and no matter what you use it will not work if you aren't ready to give them up. My husband has health problems and can't breath well. He still smokes. He quit for three months nearly having the habit kicked. Then he had it in his head he needed to smoke. He smoked an e-cigarette thinking it would be healthier.  Healthier, maybe had it not had nicotine to lure him back to smoking the real ones.

working