jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

If you find out that your spouse is HIV positive, what will be your reaction?

1. Chuksm profile image70
    Chuksmposted 3 years ago

If you find out that your spouse is HIV positive, what will be your reaction?

2. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

I would cease having sex with them, go get tested, and file for divorce. This would be my reaction assuming they contracted the virus sexually and not through a blood transfusion which is very rare these days in the U.S.
    Cheating is a "deal breaker" for me (disease or no disease).

3. profile image0
    Daveadamposted 3 years ago

If it was through no fault of her's, & she hasn't been sleeping around....I would carry on as normal, & try to convince her that it doesn't matter at all....Anything we get while we're here is a test of our faith which is love, no one will believe that unless they believe but that's how it is....Love is eternal buddy, & would god really take love away from us when we die?....If i didn't love her i would do as dashing says, but then again i wouldn't be with someone who i didn't love in the first place....So for me my reaction would be support, & to try to convince them that it doesn't matter, which it doesn't in the grand scheme of things. :-)

4. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 3 years ago

I guess it would vary based on how and when they contracted it. If it was contracted via sexual relations during our relationship then I would end the relationship immediately. If he had caught it before our relationship had began and was just finding out, I really don't have any idea how I would deal with it. I would worry about myself and my children getting tested first and his feelings second. That may sound cruel but I have to protect my children. I love my husband and would like to think I could find a way of making it work, but I know me and if sex is removed any relationship resentment begins. I would think it would be better to end the relationship and be able to maintain some good thoughts than to stay in something that would inevitably fail. I really have no idea though and hope I never do!

5. jlpark profile image85
    jlparkposted 3 years ago

I'd be surprised, and I'd assume it was either before us as a couple - why? Because she has strongly held views on cheating, and would not do so...and is scared of needles, so not likely to be injecting substances!

I'd be a supportive, loving wife. Sure, a few things may have to change - to protect me and our daughter, but given the nature of our relationship - we are at the lower end of risk for transmission (not likely, but not FREE of transmission either) - I'd get tested, and we'd go from there.

I took my vows seriously, and a life-threatening illness would not change that - in sickness and in health, remember?

(That being said - this is how I THINK I'd react...given what I know about my wife....should the situation be different - cheating etc...I'd like to think I'd still do the same!)