What do you fear the most about aging?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (27 posts)
  1. denise.w.anderson profile image87
    denise.w.andersonposted 9 years ago

What do you fear the most about aging?

Getting older doesn't get easier. There are so many issues. What is the most frightening thing to you?

2. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

A slow gradual deterioration of body mobility and organ functionality. Once I'd lose my independence and had to rely on others for everything from driving me around town, feeding me, or taking me to the restroom...etc  I would feel better off dead.
    Noticing one's inability to do things they have always taken for granted can be very scary indeed.

denise.w.andersonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Many people feel that loosing their abilities would be the worst that could happen to them. That is understandable.

3. liesl5858 profile image83
    liesl5858posted 9 years ago

What I fear the most about aging is getting demented. A lot of old people have dementia nowadays and it is really frightening. I hate to think that when I get old I will forget my name and who I am. I also fear that when I get old, I will be falling because I lose my balance. A lot of elderly people are prone to falls and break their bones easily. But hopefully I will get old gracefully.

That would be difficult, not knowing who you are or what is happening in your world. Many people have difficulty with their balance when they are older. My mother fell earlier this year on a sidewalk and had to have her shoulder replaced.

4. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 9 years ago

It used to be getting arthritis or something and not being able to get around on my own. Now it's getting Alzheimers. I've seen people going through it and it seems like it would be frightening not knowing the people around you.

1. Faith Reaper profile image83
      Faith Reaperposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, this is the same for me too.  So terribly sad and frightening to say the least.

2. denise.w.anderson profile image87

I have a friend with Alzheimers. It is tough for his family, as he can no longer live independently.

5. mjboomer profile image61
    mjboomerposted 9 years ago

A very interesting question. Ageing is naturally a process marked by gradual decline with changes in the perception of independence. I expect to experience many changes as I age, requiring shifts in the way I approach those challenges.
    My biggest fear is not having the resources to help me age in place successfully while maintaining my ability to make my own choices and remain independent.

Changes in the way we approach life are definitely needed as we age. Not having sufficient resources could definitely be a problem!

6. profile image0
    Daveadams36posted 9 years ago

Fearing getting old denise is the very thing, that's going to make you get older quicker!lol..As you get older it's your mind that gives up first not your body, so all you have to do is never give up walking/jogging etc whatever you like doing..Believe me if anyone wants to stay physically fit in their old age & they've no physical ailments, then "walking" long walks are the "king" the "daddy" to staying fit..The trouble is is a persons mind as they get older will try to convince them to get a taxi etc instead of walking, or to order food in instead of cooking etc..That's the exact time that the person has to use there will power to force their body into action, & if it's kept on top of it doesn't become a problem..Hobbies/passions/interests that you love doing are your fountain of youth, & so all you have to do is find them..Find something physical that you love doing, & you will instantly manifest the motivation to keep doing it..Don't whatever you do get the knitting needles out & put your slippers on, you can do that when your 101 when you can hardly move!lol..Don't worry about getting old denise because for all you know when you die, you might just wake up somewhere in your prime again..I mean no one really know's, so we have to stay fit & wait & see..ps get a bike, ps use it often. :-)

This is an interesting philosophy! Stay fit, and you stay young! I know a lot of people who are able to do just that. Here, I think that wisdom is the key. We have to take into consideration what we are capable of doing, and do it in moderation.

7. Zaina Star profile image60
    Zaina Starposted 9 years ago

As they say old is gold , but the truth is , for human getting old means becoming alone and neglected ! I 've seen people ending up in old age homes.Its horrifying for me .Being neglected by your own kids ! its frightening.

Loneliness and abandonment, especially by one's own family, would be difficult indeed!

8. mdgardner profile image91
    mdgardnerposted 9 years ago

For me it’s losing my independence and not being able to care for myself. I think the hardest thing for me to deal with is to have to depend on others for basic needs like transportation, food, medicine, etc.

Losing independence can be difficult, especially when we are used to enjoying life with self-sufficiency.

9. profile image53
    Nicole Nichols-Smposted 9 years ago

For me it is not being able to do what I want to physically. I believe that whatever age one is it is only a number and your thoughts and actions keep you young or ages you. I am 47 years old and still take the stairs everyday and I can still do a cartwheel. I also believe it is important to have a group of supportive friends and never allow yourself to isolate from family and friends. Also, you should stay current on world, national and local events. Find a place to be useful, whether volunteering or a part-time job. And sharpen your skills like reading or taking a class, your outlook will help keep you "young"

I used to feel this way, until I reached age 50, then something happened to my body, and I couldn't do the same things I used to do! Continuing to stay active and informed is vital, however, in keeping age at bay.

10. Doris Dancy profile image68
    Doris Dancyposted 9 years ago

My mother had Dementia in her final years, and that was the saddest of all for me.  For a while she would tell me that she knew who I was, but then there came that day when I knew she did not recognize me.  The most frightening for me is not remembering my husband and my children.  That is a very sad time for all, and a very frightening thought.

Yes, Doris, having had first hand experience with this, you understand how the loved ones feel when those they care for deeply no longer recognize them.

11. tom yam profile image60
    tom yamposted 9 years ago

Not being able to look after myself and having to rely on others is something that i fear the most.

Thanks, tom, that seems to be the thing that most people fear.

12. deecoleworld profile image75
    deecoleworldposted 9 years ago

I am considered young, but I sometimes think about getting older!!!! The older you get, the more time seems to move too quickly!! Anyway my biggest fear would be to be filled with regrets and being unfulfilled. A  unfulfilled life filled with regrets is not a life
    My other fears include getting a debilitating illness or disease (such as Parkinson's, Alzheimer's/ Dementia) that compromises and prevents you from being independent and free. Old age is a privilege but what is a privilege when you are suffering either from a physical illness or condition or suffering emotionally..... and what if you have both.  Anyway what I can say if you try to live in a beautiful, meaningful productive way you won't fear old age, you will welcome it and it will welcome you!!!! Striving to be the best I can be is my mission smile

You make a great point here, deecoleworld, that as we strive to live the best we can, even if things don't work out in our old age like we hope they will, we can still feel that we have done our best.

2. deecoleworld profile image75
      deecoleworldposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes!!! We can't control our health and our genetics, we just got to live in the best way we can. Whatever happens in our old age our soul and heart knows we were happy and lived beautifully!!! Don't let fear stop you from living smile

13. John Parks profile image62
    John Parksposted 9 years ago

Alzheimer's/Dementia seems to be a common fear among the aging.  We had our mother in law living with us for 4 years with Dementia and now she is in an Alzheimer's home.  It truly is a living death, watching someone you love, lose who they are and disappear into helplessness.  Mom is so frustrated, she constantly wants to go home, wherever in the past that may be.  She became angry with us for concealing the death of her parents, 40 years ago, from her.  She had to mourn all over again.  Getting lost inside your home, unable to go on walks by yourself. I would rather go on a hike in the woods, and be eaten by wild animals, than die this way.  I can't imagine a worse way to go.  Keep your mind busy and active and exercise.  Avoid to many prescription medications to lessen your risk.

How difficult that must have been for your family, to be accused of withholding information from a loved one! When we see our family members in compromising situations, our hearts ache!

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)