jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Are you concerned about the effects of the Ebola Virus if it spreads beyond the

1. sulcatamandy profile image88
    sulcatamandyposted 3 years ago

Are you concerned about the effects of the Ebola Virus if it spreads beyond the borders of Africa?

2. PhoenixV profile image69
    PhoenixVposted 3 years ago

It is concerning because the mortality rate can be very high when dealing with ebola and in some cases can spread almost exponentially. It seems to be mostly in the west Africa region and now it sounds like they are working on containment.

3. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 3 years ago

We are long overdue for one of Mother Nature's whimsical reductions in population via global pandemic, so yes, I'm always concerned when I hear about virus outbreaks.

1. peeples profile image95
      peeplesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

+1

4. danicole profile image79
    danicoleposted 3 years ago

Yes especially after I read The Hotzone, you shouldn't overlook something or think "it can never happen to me". It has appeared in the United States before (in less severe forms). However I do think the U.S. is equip to handle an outbreak better than in African countries effected (better hospital system than in many of the infected African countries). Plus there are testing out vaccines for it now (always hope). Just be cautious, do your research and stay informed.

1. lisavollrath profile image96
      lisavollrathposted 3 years agoin reply to this

That book scared the beejeezus out of me.

2. danicole profile image79
      danicoleposted 3 years agoin reply to this

It did, one of the scariest thing is the fact that the book suggest that the virus can be airborne (or evolve to be). Plus Ebola is already here, the first diagnosed case of Ebola in the U.S. has been announced today in Texas. Scary!!!!

5. MicahI profile image84
    MicahIposted 3 years ago

Living in the United States, I am not concerned for my own safety.  Because it is spread by bodily fluids and it is not airborne, I don't expect to ever come into contact with the virus.  However, I do feel concerned for those living in Africa!

1. danicole profile image79
      danicoleposted 3 years agoin reply to this

The Hot Zone by Richard Preston suggested that the Ebola Reston virus strain has the potential to become airborne since it jumped between caged monkeys in different rooms. Humans exposed to this strain of Ebola tested positive but didn't get sick.

6. sulcatamandy profile image88
    sulcatamandyposted 3 years ago

I find it a little startling that just hours after I posted this question, the first case of Ebola in the United States is being tested for in Dallas, Texas.

Another thing I find a bit scary is that even  though most of Africa has been in quarantine, there are still airlines that are flying into and out of the capital there. This feels to me as though we are asking for the virus to be spread to other continents.

I feel like a bit of a conspiracy theorist when I think about what the effects of the virus will be if it becomes uncontained on US soil. While I believe the US is more equipped to deal with Ebola, I don't fully trust the motives of our country. The United States has been prepping for some time; ordering supplies and subtly training health officials for a disaster.
    Fema camps could be a reality if the Ebola virus takes off here in the US. I feel as though our Government has been silently awaiting this.

I also find it strange/scary that our country holds a patent on some strain of the virus.

Strange times ahead for the world. That is for sure.

working