jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

From AIDS, SARS, MERS COV and now Ebola, what's next?

1. sweetpikez profile image62
    sweetpikezposted 3 years ago

From AIDS, SARS, MERS COV and now Ebola, what's next?

Our world is becoming unhealthy.How can we prevent these diseases and the undiscovered health-risk illnesses?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/11906828_f260.jpg

2. Robert the Bruce profile image60
    Robert the Bruceposted 3 years ago

I think you are incorrect to claim that the world is "becoming unhealthy." In fact, many diseases that were once a huge threat to humans are either eradicated or controlled. Here's a list of diseases that have been controlled or eradicated and how many lives are saved annually: http://www.unicef.org/pon96/hevaccin.htm

Viruses, bacteria, and other disease-causing organisms have coexisted with humans since the dawn of mankind. They have evolved along with humans and are still evolving. Fortunately in recent times our scientific understanding has grown immensely and humans have been able to either grow immune to certain diseases and/or control/eliminate them.

Will there come a day when all disease is eradicated? Who knows? In the mean time, don't let the news networks scare you. Their job is to inflate the facts to sell more of their publication. If you want to know about the current state of disease in the world, it would be better to look into actual research organizations and actual numbers.

sweetpikezposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for this brilliant answer. I am just scared of the news. It alarmed and stressed me in some ways.

3. Jacqueline4390 profile image86
    Jacqueline4390posted 3 years ago

Man has been endowed with wisdom and with that wisdom comes enlightenment. If we focus on the negatives we will indeed look forward to the next disaster. However, if we realize that with every challenge comes a means of either coping with or eradication of that challenge then we look forward to the next discovery knowing that we are capable of "meeting it head-on!"

Thanks for your positive thought Jacqueline. I highly appreciate it.

4. Zelkiiro profile image95
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago

Word of advice: Don't take the ebola "outbreak" seriously. We're not panicking about mad cow disease, bird flu, SARS, or AIDS anymore, because those other "outbreaks" turned out to be nothing to be worried about, and ebola will be no different.

I was just alarmed of everything I've seen on the news. I was overlooking the future. Thanks for the wonderful advice.

working