jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Why are we so afriad of death?

1. SilentMagenta profile image71
    SilentMagentaposted 3 years ago

Why are we so afriad of death?

Almost every thing we do is based on death. Insurance, police officers, religion, doctors, funeral homes..etc etc

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image83
    Kathleen Cochranposted 3 years ago

Some of us are not, except that we will miss sharing in the lives of our families and loved ones who we will leave behind. But that kind of outlook takes faith of one kind or other.  And it comes easier for some.

Because I believe on the other side of death I will see my Mother again, I don't exactly look forward to it, but it is a more pleasant concept than it has ever been before.

3. connorj profile image75
    connorjposted 3 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/11974426_f260.jpg

We (although I overcame this fear by going through a comatose state for a month) fear death because most all of the associations with it "speak of" finality or end. Although the lucky ones, those who can truly believe that death isn't so final and also those who have had a glance at death and lived to witness more days know better and are convinced that the "sting" of death is just a pinch. "Be not afraid..."

4. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

Earth is our "comfort zone" and death is the "unknown".
    Man however learns early on that he is going to die at some point and thus the wise ones learns to plan ahead in order to avoid hardship for their loved ones. Most people keep the idea of death in the back of their mind or seldom give it a thought.
    Death is what happens to "other people". smile
    Having said that there is a movement in the U.S. for trying to make it legal for terminally ill patients to elect to be euthanized.
    Lots of people including myself have a DNR (Do not resuscitate) order. It instructs health care providers not to do cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) if breathing stops or if the heart stops beating.
    "Death never takes the wise man by surprise, he is always ready to go." - Jean de La Fontaine

5. cianeko profile image85
    cianekoposted 3 years ago

I think it's because so many of us don't know where we are going after we die. In addition, we also fear that we will be forgotten and that the things that we've worked for would be put into waste by the people whom we will leave behind. Moreover, spiritually speaking, I think most of us are deeply rooted on the things here on earth that we find it hard to let go.

6. Mike Marks profile image74
    Mike Marksposted 3 years ago

if we seriously considered we might lay in the ground paralyzed with a preserved consciousness that medical machines can not detect while vile creatures consume us... we'd all be freaking out... rioting like madmen against that inescapable horror... Vatican please! give me an alternative to consider! I'm open to believing anythig else but that!  Calm me down!  Calm the entire human race down!  Clouds and rainbows and smiling friends eternal, yea, we can be peace with that... good job oh robed ones.

7. profile image0
    greeneyedblondieposted 3 years ago

It's because we don't know what death holds. Some say we reincarnate and come back to life, others say nothing is there, and others go to a heaven or meet Jesus. We don't know what's "on the other side."

8. Katie Keesecker profile image73
    Katie Keeseckerposted 3 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/11983017_f260.jpg

I can only speak for myself, but it's not the afterlife (or lack thereof) that I fear. I fear the actual occurrence and/or process of death itself. I fear DYING. I truly believe that there will be an afterlife, not that I feel the need to push my own beliefs onto anyone else. So I'm at peace with the "aftermath".

What really scares me is that death could occur basically at any moment, and in any number of ways. It could be terrifying, prolonged and/or painful, we just can't know!

Of course, as a parent, another fear is the wellbeing of my children (whether they're adults or still children) following my death. No one wants to think of their child struggling or suffering because of their own, eternal absence.

Anyway, those are the kinds of thoughts that scare me. Once the heart has stopped, and the mind has shut-down, I figure the rest is gravy. But I realize that's just my opinion. Good question!

9. Patclyn profile image60
    Patclynposted 20 months ago

Being human, it is the great unknowable.

working