jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Does acupuncture really relieve pain? If so, what is the science behind it?

1. Odhiambo Ouma Sr profile image59
    Odhiambo Ouma Srposted 3 years ago

Does acupuncture really relieve pain? If so, what is the science behind it?

2. Tusitala Tom profile image61
    Tusitala Tomposted 3 years ago

Edison was once asked, I read somewhere, by a lady, "Mister Edison - just what is electricity?"   To which the great inventor replied along the lines: "Madam, do not concern yourself with what electricity is or isn't - just use it!"

So my reply to this question would be:  Keep and open mind and try it.   If it works, it works.   If it doesn't - for you - then it doesn't.   If it turns out to be the former then you might like to study it.  If it doesn't, then simply forget all about it.   Forget about Science and the 'Science behind' it unless you are really serious in finding out.   

Who knows?  It could become your Life's Work...

3. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 3 years ago

yes, TCM really relieves pain with those needles because they release the stagnant blood in the muscles. Science, i thinkis the theory

4. Digital MD profile image92
    Digital MDposted 3 years ago

There are several theories behind the "science" of acupunture. There is the (1) gate control theory which proposes that the impulses in nerves are womhow blocked by other sugnals, and (2) another proposes that the release of endorphins causes decreases the pain perceived.

For the question whether it really relieves pain, I think it's case to case basis and depended on how the procedure is performed, what type of pain involved, and even the overall pain tolerance of the person.

Hope this helps. smile

Source: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi … re/245816/